Does anyone know what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
So I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have NO clue what this is hanging down from the back of my Jeep. It appears to be something disconnected maybe? Does anyone know what this is and if so, how I fix it? It's drivin' me nuts! Thanks in advance!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Upper end of rear axle breather tube,just clip it back to the cross piece over the axle housing

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear axle vent tube.

I'd be game to say that it's your rear axle vent tube come undone. If it comes off of the top of the brake line block that's what it is.

Ian

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
Upper end of rear axle breather tube,just clip it back to the cross piece over the axle housing

Oooh okay. So this is nothing that would cause my check engine light to come on huh? I'll get under there tomorrow mornin' and see if I can pop it back up there somehow...

Thanks for the fast response! I was concerned that it was something disconnected that may effect something.

My ck engine light is on, and when I took it to Autozone, the gave me some sort of emissions code. Said to try to change the gas cap, although that seems tight. I was wonderin if it may have been that thing but I guess not. Thanks again!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Damn man, I'm never first.:mad:

Don't feel bad. I had a reply all ready to go in my head, just to scroll down, and...... someone had already replied. :(

Such a disappointment.

Oh well, I'll retype it.

That's your diff breather. Just reattach it to the axle.

Oooh okay. So this is nothing that would cause my check engine light to come on huh? I'll get under there tomorrow mornin' and see if I can pop it back up there somehow...

Thanks for the fast response! I was concerned that it was something disconnected that may effect something.

My ck engine light is on, and when I took it to Autozone, the gave me some sort of emissions code. Said to try to change the gas cap, although that seems tight. I was wonderin if it may have been that thing but I guess not. Thanks again!

This will NOT cause your check engine light to illuminate. Do you recall WHICH emissions code your Jeep is throwing? That goes a long way to determining what is going on. Your gas cap may be tight BUT there may be cracks in the rubber, etc. If not, there may be cracks in the rubber hoses in the evap system.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

While your under there look at the hoses/lines coming to and from the fuel tank,some have found small split at the place they connect. Does not take much of a leak to set a code for emissions.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You can obtain the code # and post it back in here by: without (NOT) starting Jeep
Turn key- ON-OFF-ON-OFF- ON and leave it in the on position. The code will be displayed in the digital odometer, if you get the key segment correct.
The gas cap seal does wear out and a new dealer cap (or dealer locking cap) can be bought reasonably. I do not recommend after market caps.
The diff breather can also be extended one day, now that you know where it is located. Many do extend all the breathers, if going into deeper waters.

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
Awesome okay. Thanks everybody. I will check for that code in the morning and let ya'll know what it tells me. :)

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
Okay. I did the ignition thing. Here are the two codes it gave me:

P 0442 and

P 0455

Any ideas?

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
Got it, thank you all! I'll be calling the local dealer to get a new gas cap as a first step in troubleshooting the issue.
Also, I managed to re-clip that little wire thing. It was painfully easy, lol. Guess I shoulda just fumbled with it under there to begin with. I just didn't want to mess with it not knowing what it was first.

02JeepGirl

Reaction score
OMGAWD.

Ok so $18.10 for the gas cap from the Jeep dealer. I'll be pickin that up in a couple days. Just for the "fun" of it I asked ho much they'd charge to replace my window regulator. (ahahahaha)

Yeah, so, $167 for the regulator, and $174.46 for the labor to install it!

NOOOOOO thank you! I will somehow someway do it myself. Good lord.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a large leak code, it most likely isn't going to be the gas cap. That generally causes a small leak code.