Disabling or Removing the Steering Wheel Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
Because my steering column has developed a "clicking" noise when I rotate the steering wheel, and it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to troubleshoot the noise, because I think it's coming from the steering wheel lock or a worn out blinker mechanism. I can't take the Jeep to the dealership because in South Korea, it's pretty hard to find a Jeep dealership...

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keyhole

I don't believe you need to do what you are asking to trouble shoot your clicking noise. The steering wheel/air bag has to come off to access the turn signal mechanism. I don'r recommend doing this yourself unless you are familiar with this type of disassembly.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
There was a guy I talked to who said you could disable the steering wheel lock on a Grand Cherokee for sure, and possibly a Liberty, by removing a small panel on the steering column just above the firewall but underneath the dash. This is what I would like to try first, as I would not have to remove the steering wheel and airbag. I am familiar with this type of work, just not on a KJ. I was just wondering if anyone else knew of a way to disable the steering wheel lock or to help troubleshoot the noise. I did a search here and over at LOST, and while I found a couple threads on the subject, everyone took there KJ to the dealership to be fixed. I don't have that luxury.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the clicking sound at every full turn, but it really hasn't bothered me that much, if it is that loud, I would get it checked by dealer to see that's the source. Liberty's got a lot other ticks and clicks and rattles..

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the clicking noise occurs all the time when you spin the wheel back and forth, then it is most likely the clockspring in the in steering wheel.