Dealership Scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my basic oil lube filter done at the 'stealership' on my 02 Sport. They try to upsell me on a visual inspection for $20 more but I said just do the OLF and when the work was completed, the tech advises me that my front brakes are at 15% and need to be replaced immediately and presses me to approve brake work.

I am very suspicious as I have no issues braking, squeeking or mushy peddle and I just got new rubber last week from a tire shop and no word of excessive brake wear etc. This is further compounded because I know the stealership did not take my wheels off to inspect since I have them locked w/ keyed lugnuts which I did not give them.

Rotors look fine.

So I said I will pass and leave.

My questions are:

does the OEM brake pads have some wear indicator which squeeks when pads are too thin to alert of replacement?

how can a tech doing a oil drain properly see my front caliper pads from under the vehicle enough to make such a recommendation? I have 245/70 on Rubi wheels.

Opinions?

Watty

Reaction score
The disk pads on my vehicle are still the original OEM ones and they are definately equipped with a metal plate/pin that will make a noise when the wear is low. Pointed out to me by mechanic at local Jeep service centre when I asked "How would I know when my pads are running low?" The wheels were off during a regular service (40 000km) which required a pad inspection.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at mine yet, but, every car I owned with disc brakes had a viewing "port" in the front of the caliper where you could look and determine the thickness of your pads. 8-[

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always ask them to take you and show you how they know that. It would have been interesting to see if he would have asked you for your lugnut key...

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick way for a mechanic to see your pads life is with a mirror and flash light. From the back side of the rim you can angle the mirror in between the rim and rotor/caliper assembly giving a very good view of the pads.

Yes the oem has a wear indicator or "squeeler" on them and sometimes it is a good idea to keep an eye on them and get them changed shortly before the indicator hits the rotor.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend a second (or even third) opinion from different mechanics/auto garages.

I've noticed every "unfamiliar" garage or dealership I've ever went to, they've always recommended replacing/fixing something. Then I head over to the another garage and say it's fine.