DCX relpacement LBJ are crap too!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were replaced under the recall, & today I climbed under to investigate a clunking noise. The only thing holding my ball in the cup was the weight of the vehicle! If you are one of the people waiting for the dealership to get more **** to replace the **** they put in in the first place, Forget it & go get the Moog K3199's instead!

My Moogs go in today.

UPDATE: I was lied to by my FORMER dealership. they were not replaced under recall, they were not replaced at all. DCX replacement LBJ maybe fine. If you want to know more, see my post below.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When???

How long ago were they replaced ?? Any off roading or anything like that since replaced ??

#-o

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that's what we have to look forward to, huh. I was afraid of that. When mine were replaced, I asked the dealer about the new ones , and he told me "they are a heavier duty part"..........yea, right.

I guess we must keep checking them, and then go to Moog's.

How many miles do you have on your "replaced " ball joints???

Dave

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight of the vehicle should pull the joint apart since the control arm is under the joint. Our front end is literally hanging off those two balljoints.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
The weight of the vehicle should pull the joint apart since the control arm is under the joint. Our front end is literally hanging off those two balljoints.

Stupid design isnt it.. ](*,)

Ive heard they fixed the problem on the new KK's. Wonder if the front suspension can be swapped out?

OT: Ive heard rumors that the CRD IS returning to the KK. 8-[

2003KJ

Reaction score
Figures they they'd replace crap with crap.

However, this is the first i've heard of the "redesigned" ones failing...so it's entirely possible that the mechanic who installed yours did not do it properly.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tim that the mechanic could have easily damaged the ball joint. The recall technician instructions warns the techs to take precaution as not to rip the boot.

I checked them when I swapped out the wheels and didn't see any play or damage to them. so far :-$

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: When???

joeg said:
How long ago were they replaced ?? Any off roading or anything like that since replaced ??

#-o

Okay, maybe it's the dealership I WAS dealing with that is crap. I wanted to give a complete answer to your question, so I called a different dealership for the answer.

About a year ago, I was hearing a clunk every now & then, when the KJ changed from stand still to forward or to reverse. I called the old dealership Bloomington Chrysler/Jeep (MN), & they looked my KJ up by VIN, & said the previous owner had them done, & the new ones were superior & wouldn't be a problem.

I just now called Park Jeep, They sell ONLY jeeps. They looked up the information to tell me when it had been done, and found NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE!

I am so ticked off right now! The representative at the other dealership has put my family in serious danger because of what ever reason he had to lie to me, & this could have been fixed long ago.

So you guys may not be getting crap after all, but beware the service manager. I'd strongly suggest the Moogs anyway. I hear some of you are waiting weeks for parts. I called a local parts store & they had the Moogs in 2 hours-$65 a peice & they are greaseable!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Re: When???

kjpilot said:
joeg said:

#-o

Okay, maybe it's the dealership I WAS dealing with that is crap. I wanted to give a complete answer to your question, so I called a different dealership for the answer.

About a year ago, I was hearing a clunk every now & then, when the KJ changed from stand still to forward or to reverse. I called the old dealership Bloomington Chrysler/Jeep (MN), & they looked my KJ up by VIN, & said the previous owner had them done, & the new ones were superior & wouldn't be a problem.

I just now called Park Jeep, They sell ONLY jeeps. They looked up the information to tell me when it had been done, and found NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE!

I am so ticked off right now! The representative at the other dealership has put my family in serious danger because of what ever reason he had to lie to me, & this could have been fixed long ago.

So you guys may not be getting crap after all, but beware the service manager. I'd strongly suggest the Moogs anyway. I hear some of you are waiting weeks for parts. I called a local parts store & they had the Moogs in 2 hours-$65 a peice & they are greaseable!

I would go to the first dealership and get something in writing stating that the work had been performed. I would then go to the 2nd dealership and get something in writing stating that the work HAD NOT been performed.

I would then go to corporate and ask them WTF is going on. I would also push that they reimburse you for what you spent on the moogs...if they give you any hell about it, remind them how their dealership put your life, as well as the lives of your family and anybody around you on the road in danger by stating that a SAFETY RECALL had been performed, when in reality it had not.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like you can't trust anybody.

When I had mine done they were finished so fast I had to get under there and look. They were replaced. So I guess they were doing so many that they had one tech just doing ball joints. He must be able to do it in his sleep.

Dave

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the moogs are a different design? how are they different? i know they are stronger, but i just dont know how they are different. i have never seen them to compare the design

2003KJ

Reaction score
RAYMAN1007 said:
so the moogs are a different design? how are they different? i know they are stronger, but i just dont know how they are different. i have never seen them to compare the design

The moogs are greasable, which is how the factory ball joints SHOULD have been designed. The problem with the factory ones is they are drying up. With the moogs, shoot a little grease in on every oil change (hence why an oil change typically consists of an oil change, filter change, and LUBE....the lube is going around and greasing up all the greasable joints on a vehicle) and they'll last for a long long time to come.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said ^..

I want to slowly replace all the parts on my Jeep so they are greasable.

Ive done the lower balljoints, and I hope to replace the upper a-arms, install some grase zerks in the sway bar bushings, and replace the rear ujoints with grease-able ones. O:)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Interesting.

I'd be all over that dealership who claimed they replaced these ball joints. Guilt trips, threatening of lawyers, the whole 9 yards. That's just completely unacceptable.

Why wouldn't the CRD return to the KK? Of course it will. The question is whether they'll give it to us, over in the US. I know someone who drove a US-Spec Nitro CRD to Indiana and back... believe me, the 2.8L CRD is very alive and well in the KA and KK.

akilgore23

Reaction score
since you guys are on the ball joints topic ive got a question, i took my o4 in to have the recall done recently and the lady said it would take about 4 hours to do and that was not a problem but as soon as i got in the shuttle to go home she actually called me and said it was ready. so it was in the shop about 30 mins. i asked why it was so quick and she just said the shop was dead and they got to my jeep alot faster. does that sound right? i dont know how long it is supposed to take to fix them but it seemed kinda fishey

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
akilgore23 said:
since you guys are on the ball joints topic ive got a question, i took my o4 in to have the recall done recently and the lady said it would take about 4 hours to do and that was not a problem but as soon as i got in the shuttle to go home she actually called me and said it was ready. so it was in the shop about 30 mins. i asked why it was so quick and she just said the shop was dead and they got to my jeep alot faster. does that sound right? i dont know how long it is supposed to take to fix them but it seemed kinda fishey

At this point, I think anything is possible. They have the correct tools, & the experience, but 30 minutes seems fast.

By the way, I cut open the dust boots & there is not a speck of grease in my old ball joints.