Dashbaord and Headlights Dim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfreddy9

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that if you hold the window switches when the lights are on that the headlights and dash lights dim for the time that you are holding the switches? Has this happened to anyone else or is it just my truck. An example, if I sit at a light and hold the switches after the windows are closed and the lights are on, they will dim until I let go. They will dim up and down if I hold and release a few times also.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yup....completely normal.

Also, if you look close enough, at night when you give it some gas sitting in park or neutral the lights will get brighter. Try it next time you're sitting in the garage or infront of the house or close to a wall or something so that you'll be able to notice it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a good idea to try and roll the window up when its already rolled up. Puts alot of strain on the motor that rolls the window up. One of the main reasons that the lights dim. O:) I mean, it wont hurt anything to do it once in awhile, but I wouldnt sit at the red light and flick the switch every 5 seconds. 8-[

Its just putting a load on the jeeps electical system. The lights in your house will do the same thing when the Heat(given that its electric) or A/C kicks on. O:)

dnm45227

Reaction score
some things you don't question. i've had seberal cars do it, couldn't tell ya why though.

sfreddy9

Reaction score
Got it, thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:

Also, if you look close enough, at night when you give it some gas sitting in park or neutral the lights will get brighter. Try it next time you're sitting in the garage or infront of the house or close to a wall or something so that you'll be able to notice it.

yep. you can rev a bit (make sure you don't do it in the garage with close door) and see the lights brighten. You will also notice the heater blower blow a bit stronger when you hit the gas :D I know, the jeep is weird.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
2003KJ said:

yep. you can rev a bit (make sure you don't do it in the garage with close door) and see the lights brighten. You will also notice the heater blower blow a bit stronger when you hit the gas :D I know, the jeep is weird.

Thats what I was trying to get at....LOL. I was on my way out the door as I was typing that.

And Blake, how did you manage to get the usernames backwards in your last post?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal strain on the Electrical system. Or you have super bionic vision that can allow you to see a nanosecond electrical impulse occur. I will go with the first idea because I know about the dimming and I am confident that my vision is not bionic.

I also witness the dimming as I switch through gears while in the driveway (P, R, N, D)...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, they will even dim if you turn the wheel all the way to one side and make it GRRRRRRRR while holding it at that position O:)

My father in law's lincoln 70's used to stall at that position. (whistle)

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Heck, they will even dim if you turn the wheel all the way to one side and make it GRRRRRRRR while holding it at that position O:)

I've actually got the KJ to stall twice doing that..... :-s

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
hyedipin said:

I've actually got the KJ to stall twice doing that..... :-s

honk?! :-# how and why? Was it too hot or cold? Normally when cold it has enough rpm to speed up to like 10mph without accelerating. When hot rpm drops so maybe then it is possible..