Curious electric fan question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys......i was wondering.....does the electric fan run at all when driving highway speeds or is there enough airflow to keep things cool? Is it primarily slow speed when needed or with the AC on?
Thanks

Ken

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, actually I managed to fix a WK which was overheating on the highway due to a defective
low speed relay. It must be said, well at least IMHO, that WK's fan clutch is a bit....lousy!
To say the truth, we always have A/C on here..., so maybe in colder climates fan doesn't kick in
so often :shrug:.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys......i was wondering.....does the electric fan run at all when driving highway speeds or is there enough airflow to keep things cool? Is it primarily slow speed when needed or with the AC on?
Thanks

Ken

The fan should kick on when the coolant reaches 220º F. You should be able to hear it. Mine never runs going down the highway because my coolant stays around 200º. With the AC on I think it always runs, but I'm not positive on that. when I have the defrost on when its a little cooler out it will run, but turn off every once in a while.