CRD Fuel Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdean

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the Fuel Filter on a CRD. I received the replacement filter and was wondering how the water in fuel sensor mounts on the bottom drain or does that screw into the fuel filter housing. Thanks.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not changed mine as of yet, but you are correct, the water sensor unscrews from the old filter.

sdean

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific with my question. The replacement filter has a plastic drain fitting that screws into the bottom of the housing that will allow you to drain off the water. This is very similar to my VW TDI fuel filter that does not have a water in fuel sensor. Does the water in fuel sensor replace this fitting or does it somehow mount into it? Thanks for any insight.

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You unscrew the white drain fitting out of the replacement filter then take the sensor out of the old filter and put it in the relacement.

I removed my filter mount from the firewall once I had the filter drained and loose(and its very tight from the factory), to allow me to install a replacement filter filled with fuel. After putting the mounting and filter back on ,I took a piece of clear hose and put it on the bleeder fitting and held the hose in a bowl then slightly opened the bleeder and pumped the primer till I didn't see any air bubbles in the hose.
After that all there is to do is start it up (biggrin)