Cragar Soft 8's and TPMS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi-- After agonozing on it for weeks I decided to pick up some Cragar Soft 8's. However, someone told me the TPMS won't work with these rims. Does anyone know if that is true?

Can the TPMS be turned off, and can I pass inspection that way?

What have people with aftermarket rims done?

Its a 2005 Sport.

Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never actually heard of someone putting the sensors in cragar rims, so no one knows if they will work or not. I personally think the 05+ sensors should work since they do not need to be trained. The 02-04 sensors must be trained Via a magnet and I do not believe that would be possible to do with the steel rims.

We wont know till someone tries it though. :)

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tpms & cragars

Thanks. Is that something the tire shop can do?

Jeepjeepster, I noticed you have the same rims. What did you do about?

Thanks!

Jeff

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can't the sensors be installed on the Crager rims??

Dave

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one's saying they can't, just that the older models can't be re-trained because the steel rim would magnetize when you got a magnet near it. I have a set of Soft 8's waiting for valve stems and tires (MTRs, next month! Woohoo!). How much are the tpm valve stems for an 05+, anyway?

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am concerned that my Jeep won't pass Mass. inspection with the light on. Otherwise I couldn't care less (I'm not much of a mechanic but I can use a tire guage!)

I emailed Cragar to find out. I'll post the reply here when I get it.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am concerned that my Jeep won't pass Mass. inspection with the light on. Otherwise I couldn't care less (I'm not much of a mechanic but I can use a tire guage!)

I emailed Cragar to find out. I'll post the reply here when I get it.

Can you unplug the wire and make the light go out?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just get an error at start-up on the evic. Pushing 'step' makes it go away and it doesnt return till the next restart.

We do not have inspection. Im dying to get some extra sensors and try it though. :(

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about it more and realized that my Cragar/MTR combos will probably never have enough air in them to not set off the low pressure warning, anyway, so I'm just gonna be going with standard valve stems... and ignoring that little beep on startup.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tpms on 2005

If anyone is following this I had them mounted on my 05 Sporttoday. The tire guy said that the TPMS was not in the tire or wheel and must be part of the hub. I didn't believe him, but they are mounted and no light or chime went off so he must be right. They look sweet too!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you even get the TPMS on an 05 SPORT? My mom's 05 Limited has it, but I've never seen it on a Sport...:confused:

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely have a tire pressure monitoring system because it chimes and an idiot light goes off on the dash when I air down off road. The way it was explained to me was that 02-04 the TPMS is in the valve stem and need to be calibrated with a magnet. O5 Sports have a system that is in the hub and detects differences in wheel speed and have the idiot light and don't use the magnet. 05 Limiteds have a different system that tells you actual air pressure for all 4 tires on the dash.

It could also be that I have no idea what I am talking about. The bottom line for me is that the Cragars are on and no annoying lights or chimes are going off.