Cooper tyres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renegade2.8

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new, so hello!
I'm after some new tyres and was considering the Cooper Discoverer ATR
as an alternative to the original Goodyear Wrangler S4's which were OK but are expensive and not lasted many miles really.
Anyone use the Coopers or have an opinion on them?
Thanks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome to Jeep KJ Country!! I am in the UK to.
Yes I also run Cooper Discovery ATR and they are very similar to Goodyear Wrangler's S4. In all honesty they are good road tyres but wouldn't get you out of trouble if you went off roading. Silent on the road and a little bit better than the Goodyear ( personal experiance less that 10Kmls demolished 2 front tyres, but I think my tracking was well out). Personally I am saving up to get a set of BF or General AT2 and then sell off my tyres ( Cooper & Goodyear) as I am currently running Mastercraft MT and I am looking to get quiter tyres to run around.

Fil.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Cooper Discoverer ATR's in 245/70/16 on my 2006 for 15,000 miles.

Pros:
* They wear really well
* They had decent snow traction
* They were pretty quiet on the highway

Cons
* They left me wanting more while off-roading
(I never made it all the way up a particular steep hill with these, but in my new 2011 with DuraTracs, I cruised up the hill with absolute ease)

If 90% of your driving is on- road, and off-road driving is limited to relatively level trails with dry ground, go for it. If you want ultra traction in the mud and snow, and don't mind the road noise, go with Good Year DuraTracs.

renegade2.8

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,
Think they will do for what I'm going to be doing for now.
Last winter didn't get much snow, though I was one of only a few getting out n about in our road. Maybe by the time next set of tyres are needed I'll be into the mud and rougher stuff.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran those tires on my old XJ for a while. SMETNA pretty much hit the nail on the head with his description

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they make ATR's anymore though. They make the AT3 now. Pretty much the same thing

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 in a 245/75R16 on about a month ago. $765 out the door. I would classify this a a moderately aggressive tread. Rides fine on the highway. Not much noise. Off road capability matches the capability of the KJ, good. I put them on for one reason, price. I am happy with them so far.

DJ

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the stock Wrangler S/T's on my 05 CRD with a set of Cooper Discover ATR's in 245/70/16. I put roughly 34,000 miles on them before having to replace them due to front end alignment being out (and the shop I asked to check the alignment totally blowing it off :favorites68:), still had half the tread depth left.

The pro's pretty much match what's already been listed - smooth riding on road, quiet, do quite well in light ice and snow in 4WD, relatively inexpensive compared to other options - good option if your KJ is primarily an on-road vehicle and you want something just agressive enough to handle mud/snow/mild off-road if needed.

Also had no negative effect on fuel economy from what I saw.

Cons - while they had excellent grip when relatively new, when they got toward the second half of their life they'd spin easily even on damp pavement if I wasn't careful on takeoff - it was as if the inner layers of the tread were made of a much harder rubber compound. The last year or so you could see cracks developing down inside the tread around the base of the individual tread pads. When the one shop I mentioned above blew off checking my front end alignment and I drove for upwards of 4000 miles in that condition - on the two front tires, it looked as if someone had taken a disc grinder to the outer 1 inch or so of the tread, and actually had small chunks breaking off the outer edge of the tread even after the alignment was corrected - it was as if the rubber had been baked hard as a brick. Once they have some age on them, they don't stand up well to any alignment or other abnormal conditions.

My living conditions have changed since buying the Coopers several years ago, such that right now the KJ is my primary vehicle, and I replaced the Coopers recently with a set of Michelin LTX MS2's in 245/70/16.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 in a 245/75R16 on about a month ago. $765 out the door. I would classify this a a moderately aggressive tread. Rides fine on the highway. Not much noise. Off road capability matches the capability of the KJ, good. I put them on for one reason, price. I am happy with them so far.

DJ

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm with DJSKJ as far as tire choice goes!
The Discoverer A/T3 ooks like a really nice tire!
Mind you, the Discoverer S/T MAXX looks good as well.

renegade2.8

Reaction score
Contacted Cooper customer services because couldn't find dealers in the UK stocking AT3, got quick reply but not available in UK till 2012 due to making production changes for some new EU legislation.........so today ordered the ATR.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new, so hello!
I'm after some new tyres and was considering the Cooper Discoverer ATR
as an alternative to the original Goodyear Wrangler S4's which were OK but are expensive and not lasted many miles really.
Anyone use the Coopers or have an opinion on them?
Thanks.

the atrs are a pretty good tire i run em on my f350 im going to be putting discoverer at3's on my liberty sometime soon, the at3 is a bit more of an aggresive tread but still looks like it wont be too bad for a daily driver and i thinks the at3 is rated for 55000 miles

redwingsfan91086

Reaction score

DJ

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG][/QUOTE

Looks good man! I'm getting those put on my rene next week. I got a killer deal from the dealership near me. 119 per tire with a $70 mail in rebate

Members online