Cooper Discoverer ATR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgp1843

Reaction score
Anybody out there have any direct experience with Cooper ATR tires? I use Cooper's studded Discoverer M+S tires in the winter and they are great. I also used to use Cooper M+S tires many years ago in SCCA ProRally offroad high-speed events with zero tire failures. So, does anybody have any comments about the Discoverer ATR all-terrains?

blue gascon

Reaction score
I put a set of ATRs on my 94 Cherokee last year and was quite impressed with performance. I only put a few thousand miles on them, but found them to be great in normal driving conditions, including the few snow storms at the tail end of last winter. Good wet road performance, good in loose stuff (mud, sand) on dirt roads through end of winter and spring, but I never pressed them with serious off road trips. I liked them well enough that when I bought my latest used 2002 Libby and the dealer said they would replace the overly worn tires on it before sale, I asked if they would put them on instead of some cheap alternative just to make it road legal. To my surprise they agreed and did not charge me any extra. So far on the Libby
(about 2500 mi. since purchase) they have been great. The only thing you will find is that they tend to hold gravel in the tread if you travel dirt or gravel surfaces a lot. But they give excellent traction, they are quiet, and they feel solid under all normal conditions. If you are like me, using your KJ mostly as an everyday driver and only occasionally getting off road on pretty tame, non "oh sh**" type dirt roads, I can't see anything bad to say about them.

skipperb

Reaction score
I have them and they are doing fine for me only about 13,000 so far

265/75/16 Click on pix. its good for a DD and does good on the trail
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have experience with these tires? I was about to order Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, and the local shop had only 4 left, I went back, they were gone...

So my next choice was Cooper Discoverer ATR, but couldn't find reviews on them anywhere.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels like Cooper Discoverer ATRs have less sidewall protection, which I have to be very careful when picking a tire. The sidewalks have metal plates here, and tend to come off time to time, I just have to have good sidewall protection to avoid easy cuts.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you have seen the Destination A/T sidewall and how it would compare?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is similar. The raised white letter sidewall looks very similar, simply bald sidewall with lettering, very potential to get wiped/scratched off, turn into one of those white rim sidewalls in a while. However I found out that Cooper Discoverer ATR's other sidewall as flat, or less raised, black lettering with some sort of a pattern on the sidewall, which might make it a bit more resistance.

http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/fs_destination3.jpg
http://www.coopertires.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_atr

Still not sure about it, though.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are not a bad tyre , i know a few people using them here from KJ's to VW Touregs and i have not heard a bad thing about them

i am looking at replacing my BFG's with some Mickey Thompson ATZ's in te near future just another option for you , they are a 10 ply tyre and VERY Quiet

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with Nokian Vatiivas. I will put my order tomorrow, should be at the store within a few days.

Latest posts

Members online