coolant loss - a smal amount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always something with older cars.....while hunting for the power steering leak I noticed the coolant level has decreased slightly...again. Maybe losing 3 or 4 oz a month.
2003 Liberty, has 141k on a 3.7L
Runs fine, but I did notice some beige droplets in the last of the oil as it drained out, not much.
Any typical failure item to look for on these motors? (I'm getting too old to change head gaskets, btw). :)
Thanks.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd pressure test the system first. Maybe a hose clamp needs to be tightened down, or a bad reservoir tank, or a bad coolant reservoir cap.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are getting the kit from autozone make sure to get the accessory one too. you can pressure test the system and the cap.
940427T & 647893T

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Beige droplets in oil: Inside the oil fill tube, remove baffle if there is one, & any yellow pudding down in there or on oil cap?

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, inside cap and baffle, but it's been on the cap (mostly in cold weather) regularly in the couple of years my son has owned it. I heard that was a pcv issue, and there was a modification from Chrysler to correct it (which we didn't do). So I didn't really worry about that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just try to keep the pcv & cap & baffle clean.
Condensation and cold weather with shorter trips seems to be the root cause.
I did the pcv upgrade kit, pudding has not returned.
Keep a close eye on dipstick for contamination, bubbles, milky substances.
A pressure test may reveal a leak otherwise.