Cold start clicking and clacking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csiguru777

Reaction score
When I start my 2009 Jeep Liberty in the morning it has a ticking or sometimes clacking noise that goes away after about 5 to 10 minutes and then it does not happen the rest of the day. Any ideas on what might be causing this? The Jeep has the 3.7 liter engine.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am by far not the most knowledgeable forum member, but I'd check your oil. Definitely don't want to let that run down and I know low oil pressure can cause a noise at startup.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used synthetic in mine, and it still happens. Usually only when it's cold (less than 50 F), and it goes away as the engine warms up. The click/clack/clatter increases directly related to pressing on the accelerator. No noticeable relationship to oil level or length of time since last oil change.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 bucks says it's just your AC Compressor pulley that's clicking. 100% normal and necessary.