Coil spring squeak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this ever since I moved to where I speedbumps where I live. If I go over the speedbumps (at a slow speed of course) I get a squeak from the front end, almost more of a creak than anything. Here's the deal though, it only does it if I go over with both front wheels at the same time. If I approach at an angle, where one wheel at a time goes over, it makes no noise.

My girlfriend's Grand Cherokee does the exact same thing, except hers does it with the rear wheels. I'm sure it's not a problem, just curious if anyone else gets this and what it's actually coming from.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sway Bar Bushings. Been there and done that. They get cold and brittle. You can lubricate them to eliminate the noise, but it'll just come back next winter.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I didn't think about the sway bar, explains why it does it when both wheels hit.

Anyone make a poly bushing set-up for us?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Ahh, I didn't think about the sway bar, explains why it does it when both wheels hit.

Some people over on the lost board put grease zerks in the clamps that hold the bushings on. Only problem is Ive never been able to find the grease that i want. Not good to use petro grease since it breaks down rubber. I just take mine off ever so ofter, clean everything up really good, then use some silicon grease on them. O:)

The reason the rear of your GF's Jeep does it, they but bushing on the rear sway bar on those. The libby doesnt have them on the back sway bar. O:)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Haven't found one for the KJ specifically, but Energy Suspension Parts makes some universal units that might work, specifically the 30mm versions. I looked at Autozone a few weeks back and found one of them ( I think the non-greaseable one) but didn't have a chance to try it out. I could be wrong but I *think* if they make one for the YJ it might work; my understanding is that the YJs also have 30mm swaybars, just not sure about the overall bushing size and how the bolt holes for the cover would line up. If anyone has better info feel free to chime in.