codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mini Sumo

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this means in laymans terms ?

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Thanks,

Mini Sumo was here

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be due to the fact that the fuel neck line was installed right behind the rear bumper which can contribute to a massive explosion if hit from behind.

Okay, its the O2 sensor acting up. The sensor should be located behind the Catalyst (Bank 1 Sensor 2)..... If you have it under warranty take it in. This is an emmisssions problem and could be covered. Also, try removing the negative on your battery for 5 minutes to clear the code and see if it comes back on.

Here is some information on this:
P0420

2003KJ

Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I
Okay, its the O2 sensor acting up. The sensor should be located behind the Catalyst (Bank 1 Sensor 2)..... If you have it under warranty take it in. This is an emmisssions problem and could be covered. Also, try removing the negative on your battery for 5 minutes to clear the code and see if it comes back on.

Not necessarily. The converter could be acting up, and the sensor is actually doing it's job by telling you this.

Do you do a lot of real short distance driving, like where the engine doesn't get warmed up all the way, or it just barely does?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct to TIM. If its doing its job it will throw an error. My last 2 accounts with O2 sensors did not work that way though. That is why I blamed the sensor itself lol.....

2003KJ

Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Yes you are correct to TIM. If its doing its job it will throw an error. My last 2 accounts with O2 sensors did not work that way though. That is why I blamed the sensor itself lol.....

Right, and 70% of the time it is the sensor being stupid. It's just, there's that say 30% where the sensor is actually telling the truth. I find it hard to believe that a vehicle as "new" as the KJ would be experiencing converter issues, unless it's one of the earlier models, like an 02 or 03. That's why I asked about the original poster's driving habits. Real short distance driving is pure hell on the exhaust system, mainly the converter.

And out of curiosity, whats with always putting my names in CAPS? Not that I care....just find it interesting...lol

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
MoladoGuy said:
And out of curiosity, whats with always putting my names in CAPS? Not that I care....just find it interesting...lol

haha I have no clue. I think because -=JON=- has his name in caps and I always type it that way, and your name has 3 letters just like his? Weird huh.... :-k

**EDIT**
-=JoN=- does not have all 3 letters in caps. I have no idea why I typed your name like that.

Mini Sumo

Reaction score
Thanks guys .. I'll pull the battery cable and see what happens. I don't do alot of short drives. Plus would this cause my fuel milage to become less from what it use to be ??? I'm lucky to get 16-17mpg with the 32" mtr's

Mini Sumo Was here

2003KJ

Reaction score
Runnin 32's on stock gearing? It's probably a bit much on the KJ's set up, so if you're getting 16-17 with them on, i'd consider myself very lucky.

With that said, if your converter is bad, it certainly can cause a drop in MPG.