Clearance issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, finally completed my traction aids on my early KJ (ox locker rear, LSD front stock 3.73 gears) and got a chance to offroad it a bit at a OHV park. Tires 235/75/16, non-lowered 02 suspension with 1/2" lift in the front. Rides much higher than any non-lifted KJ I've seen.

As soon as I went to cross a small-ish rock field, I smacked the front skid plate on a 8" boulder. Didn't make it 20'. And that's when I realized that my rig's limiting factor wasn't traction but clearance under the front skid plate. I crawled up steep dirt hills all day no problem, but boulders were a no-go.

BTW rear locker was awesome and front LSD worked flawlessly. Very little drama going over non-boulder hills to my surprise.

I think I have 7.5-8" clearance under the front skid right now (I have all skids everywhere else). My question is: how do I get more clearance under the front skid plate? To my thinking, lift springs wouldn't help because the body might be higher but the skid would still be at the same level. I'm not interested in putting giant tires on the rig, modifying frame, and re-gearing so I'm limited to 29-29.5" tires. I was thinking maybe an aftermarket front skid wouldn't hang down as low as OEM skid? Or maybe a small lift would give a bit more clearance under the skid?

Thanks for the help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if prelowered or not after all these years if springs and shocks have not been replaced bet you are 1.25-1.5 inches lower than new stock
measure from the middle of the wheel, ( middle of hub ) to bottom of the flare ( level ground, left front )
and report back, we can then determine how low you are and what you need

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced stock 02 springs about 1 year ago with new ones - yeah I know, should have done emu at the time. Also installed 1/2” shock spacer.

Anyways, I’m at 19.25” right now and sitting at 8.25” of clearance at engine skid. My tires are just about 30” in diameter so not much more to gain. even going to 245/75/16 there’s only another 1/2”.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep stock except rebuilt.

any suggestions on additional skid plate clearance or is this the best I can do without getting radical?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep stock except rebuilt.

any suggestions on additional skid plate clearance or is this the best I can do without getting radical?
Not much at all, aftermarket " may " give you a 1/8 of an inch or little more but not enough to rush out and buy them

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had skids and I've never had issues up front , with my 255/75/17 and lift I can clear just about everything I have to if I pick the right line my approach and departure angles are pretty good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Skids are needed many times even on road!
Case in point heading down the road in my 79 F150 shortbed 4X4 on 38s
3 lanes of traffic, in center lane suddenly ladder falls off of a construction truck, no where to go as it bouncing right in front of me and bam hit it at 75 MPH
Nice deep scratches on the skid plates
Everyone needs them both on and off road

and to follow up on what jeepjeepster stated when you lift an IFS rig the right way it brings everything up so can clear more things

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, that’s what I was wondering. Based on that I ordered some ome “light load” 1.5” springs from 4wdparts. Part number 2925 and 2947. I talked with arb about it, they said I should net 1.5” after settling and since I have a pre lowered kJ I’m guessing it’ll be a true 1-1.5” lift instead of what everyone else gets - like 2.5” lift. 1.5” extra would net me about 10” of clearance under the skid. Since its stored in a garage, that should also be fine for door opening clearance.

I have 235/75/16 tires now without any rubbing so I think 245/75 should fit no problem.

Any other recommendations for clearance or this about all I can hope for?