Cincinnati KJ owner needs help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have a 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger. The car has 16K original miles and is like new. About a month ago I went to start it up and take it to a show and it would not start. I don't have a shop that I really trust with my baby. I'm looking for a good shop in Cincinnati to take this car to. If you know of a local shop that you use or trust your Jeep or cars with please let me know. The Shelby Dadge Nationals are in town at the end of June and I want to take my car. I'm on the west side in Colerain but if you know of a place in the area please let me know.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty wide open. When you say "does not start" we need a little more breakdown:

Turns over but does not start.
Clicks, but does not turn over.
No click, no nothing.
Some other noise coming from starter, like grinding noise...

Let us know exactly what the symptoms are and we can help you nail it down.

At this point, based on your description, you're anywhere from a dead battery to a fuel pump/fuel filter/out of gas/bad starter/stripped starter gear/starter relay problem.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty wide open. When you say "does not start" we need a little more breakdown:

Turns over but does not start.
Clicks, but does not turn over.
No click, no nothing.
Some other noise coming from starter, like grinding noise...

Let us know exactly what the symptoms are and we can help you nail it down.

At this point, based on your description, you're anywhere from a dead battery to a fuel pump/fuel filter/out of gas/bad starter/stripped starter gear/starter relay problem.

OK here is what I can tell you. The car was running a little rough. I removed the spark plugs to check and regap them. When I put them back in and hooked up the plug wires it started but still running rough. I went to my manual and noticed I had the plug wires crossed. I hooked the plug wires up by the manual diagram and since then it won't start at all. It cranks but won't start. My son has another turbo Dodge and the wires are hooked the same on his. I thought it might be the pickup to the distributor. We swapped those and mine still won't start. We thought the gas might be bad so we drained it and put fresh in. Still no start. There is fuel pressure at the fuel rail. We then thought the timeing might have jumped. We checked that and still no start. At this point I'm thinking a bad computer. Thats why I'm looking for a good shop to take it to. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have added a pic of the car.

Attachments

• shelby 011.jpg
    shelby 011.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Back in the day, I had one of those little screaming terrors but in Blue/Silver. Wish I had of kept it now.:(

Forgot to ask if it's getting fire at the plugs? I can't see the comp going out like that though.

Last edited:

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we got it figured out. It was a couple of things. It had fuel pressure but very low. Replaced the fuel pump and new fuel and fuel lines but it still would not start. We then replaced the underhood comp and she fired right up. So needless to say I'm a happy camper. Not much show or cruise season left but I'm going to get the car out and enjoy it. Thanks guys for your suggestions.