Cherokee renaming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat confused and irritated of the folks pointing to my beloved jeep; that is not a Cherokee, that is a Kids Jeep;
they mean that their cherokee¨s (built in 1990s) is a much more decent jeep than my little "cherokee" from 2003.

So I have decided to "refinish " my Cherokee to its original state, ie give it the original USA name and look as it (probably) was ment to be (- and not a Cherokee - why the heck did they call it cherokee in Europe back in 2002 ???)

a)
To start with, I will change all the decals on the side from cherokee to 2003 liberty limited crd --
I need a penpal to help me buy these in US at a reasonable price -
but what decals do I need?

b)
The next step is a bit more drastic, to change the rear end spare tire "set-up" from the frustatring and in wintertime very unpractical euro -style to a decent us /jeep set-up,
but I am quit sure it can be done :))

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difficult thing will probably be the rear bumper. Although there is no huge modifications required, just getting one shipped will probably be a chore. Also, I've never been to Europe so don't know, will your license plate fit in the U.S. size location?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and x2 on the ignore them. We get that all the time here in the U.S. too. A friend of mine just bought a Cherokee (that they beat to crap) and they give me a hard time over mine. I just ignore them becuase I figure that is their own suppressed self-esteem issues.

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree i would just ignore them or kickem in the balls... doughpoke.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ebay has the decals you've been looking for

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fjellfinn said:
b)
The next step is a bit more drastic, to change the rear end spare tire "set-up" from the frustatring and in wintertime very unpractical euro -style to a decent us /jeep set-up,
but I am quit sure it can be done :))

CHECK this link for the bumper...
EBAY LISTING shipping will kill you, though.[/url]

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
EBAY LISTING[/url] shipping will kill you, though.[/url]

Do you have any good sources for buying the orignal Liberty stickers?

I should also like to know how to remove the olde stickers without harming the paint

saabsaviur

Reaction score
depending on the conditions of your and location i may wanna trade you, mine are great, but it is the "sport" not limited badge

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Europeans even knew what a Cherokee was. Both Liberty and Cherokee are names that wouldn't really work overseas. They should have just made up a fresh name to go along with the new platform and nomenclature in America, too. Why carry over the Cherokee name there, but not here - unless they feared a name recognition loss for a brand that is not nearly as large in Europe. The whole point of Jeep names like Patriot and Liberty are their ties to the American Armed Forces. And I don't really think you guys have any Native Americans over there, either.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No we don't have many native Americans over here, but we do know what Cherokees are.

You seem to forget that other people are just as passionate about their liberty and are patriots to their own countries. Just becuase those two words make you think of the 'Stars and stripes' doesn't mean it doesn't makes me think of the 'Union flag'.

I'm as patriotic to my country as you are to yours.

So naming a car Liberty or patriot would work just as well in the UK as does in the USA.

Ian

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
I didn't know Europeans even knew what a Cherokee was.

Why not?

Anyway, jeep or daimler should stick to one thing.. American Heritage (cherokees, sitting bulls, peace pipes) or armed forces (liberty, patriot, braveheart, etc..)

They made Cherokee into a Liberty just to sell it better to US market, i think. It comes just when the nation is all patriotic and stuff, after 9/11 there you get a LIBERTY vehicle.. I am sure they planned that as Cherokee in the beginning.. and changed to Liberty after they thought it would sell better that way. I thought of my KJ more of a Cherokee than a Liberty. And I wish they sold the new KJ (KK) as Cherokee and not Liberty. Why carry Liberty name into a vehicle that is more like the original Cherokee!

We have Grand Cherokee and Cherokee, makes sense to me.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
after 9/11 there you get a LIBERTY vehicle.. I am sure they planned that as Cherokee in the beginning.. and changed to Liberty after they thought it would sell better that way.

I totally agree with you on this, this has been an opinion of mine since they came out. I feel that because of 9/11, and all the Patriotism that soon followed, such as people flying American flags on their cars, that the name change took place. What I don't know to support this for sure is when the name "Liberty" was first introduced to public ears. Since 9/11 happened late in the '01 model year, that is really, really close to when a 2002 model would've been released. So it's definately possible, but if a "Liberty was marketed at all before 9/11, then that wouldn't be the case.

My own opinion though, I don't care what it is called, it makes no difference in performance one way or anothe what it is called. The name had nothing to do with my I purchased one, and I would've thought more people on this forum would care about the performance and appearance of a vehicle than the nameplate that's on it. I still hope that's the case.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... you know we might be totally wrong. I just remember Bennett got his in August '01. #-o

Well, still.. that doesn't change my preference of KJ being Cherokee. Oh and even if you (DCx) don't turn it into Cherokee, why create patriot, it is the perfect cherokee....

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Well... you know we might be totally wrong. I just remember Bennett got his in August '01. #-o

Then that would pretty much make us wrong. I always wondered about that, but didn't know when they were released.

welshman

Reaction score
HI, HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR BADGES YET?? I'M A FELLOW BRIT AND LOOKING FOR A CHEROKEE BADGE FOR MY DRIVERS DOOR ........ [-o<

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that DC were going to continue to sell the Cherokee along side the Liberty in North America because they were worried about how the Liberty would be accepted. The Cherokee was such a strong seller that they felt the liberty may not do as well. At the last minute they changed their minds and dropped the XJ.

In the rest of the world Jeep tend to release their cars about 6 months later than they do in North America (e.g. the new Wrangler has just arrived here) so they knew the KJ would be recieved well. Hence the KJ kept the Cherokee name in the rest of the world.

I don't know if that's right but it comes from a well read auto magazine in the UK.

Ian