check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big steve

Reaction score
hello all again my check engine light came on today (well just notticed it) :-$ i turned the key three times to see what code came up and it was P-0455 what on gods green is it went online to look it up but can't find anything tx again talk to you soon.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Steve,

If you go to www.about.com and do a search for OBD-II codes and do some clicking, there is a list of all the OBD-II codes and what they mean. I'd give you a direct link but for some reason the direct link doesn't work. Anyways, according to that site it means P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

Got that gas cap on nice and tight?

edit: lets try this link. if it works, bookmark it so you have it for a reference. Also, for anybody that has a copy of the FSM, there should be a list in there if i'm not mistaken.

edit again: I guess the link might help...LOL http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0038 isn`t on that list...that`s the one that triggers for me when I get a code.

Mike

[Edit]Did some research and found this here: P0038 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 2[/Edit]

big steve

Reaction score
ok i got your links you guys are the BEST (really) i did more reaserch and found out that it could be the gas cap (i know you guys said that already) put in gas yesterday so im hoping it is that. still going to take it in to get it checked out. thanks again BIG STEVE

2003KJ

Reaction score
what you could do if you wanted to make sure it's the gas cap, run over and make sure it's on good and tight (i've always gone by the no less than 3 clicks rule) and then unhook the negative terminal of the battery for I believe it's 20 minutes. That should reset the system and maybe you're check engine light will go off. But if it makes you feel better by all means get it checked by a dealer. There's still a possibility that it's not the cap and that it's something more serious.....i'm assuming you're under warranty correct?

big steve

Reaction score
ummmmmmmm nope chairshot.gif i will try that thanks, i should be beating my head with a chair lol thanks again

big steve

Reaction score
probly roseville chrysler jeep 10 and gratiot you probly know where that one is marlon your from my neck of the woods =D>

big steve

Reaction score
well it was my gas cap it still dosnt seem like it is getting tight when i turn it i will get a new one soon thanks again guys (oh and marlon) GO PISTONS

KY Liberty

Reaction score
Make sure they check your fuel lines. Mine had dry rotted enough after 3 years to cause that problem.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing

Mine is doing the same thing I think. How do I find out the code and how quick should the light turn off if it is the gas cap? Should I fill up the tank again?

Thanks

2003KJ

Reaction score
You can go here and there are two methods in which to find the code. One of them should work. Reason there are two is one works on some, and one works on others, while some work on both....chrysler was screwy about that. Once you get the code pulled scroll up to the post i made a while back that has the link to www.about.com and you should find the list of OBDII codes on there. If you're gas cap is the problem. Try tightening it (take it off and put it back on, many many many clicks this time) and then unhooking your battery for 20 minutes or so (maybe a tad longer just to make sure the computer resets). If this is your problem, and the cap is nice and tight now, the computer should not "detect a leak" like it's doing now. HOWEVER, the code WILL STILL BE ON THE COMPUTER, just stored (even though the light is off). So it is a good idea, if you get this problem fixed by the above, to take it to a mechanic and have have a OBDII Scanner hooked up to it, and have the scanner clear the code.

Hope that helps!

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as you find the problem, let us know. I had the same code, found a cracked hose, replaced it, and still have the problem. The guy a the parts store said it could be the gas cap, so I plopped down $8. No, that's not the problem. Like someone else said, 0422 is more likely the gas cap.