Brought a CRD home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zerotact

Reaction score
HI, I'm a newbie

I brought an '05 CRD home monday, and had a few questions...

1. My CRD does not have cruise, but on jeep.com you cannot build a diesel without speed control being added automatically. is this correct?

2. The salesman told me all the diesels have limited slip axles in them, but once again it's not on the window sticker. Is this correct?

3. The manual says to do a 50/50 mix of #2 and #1 (kerosene) diesel in the winter but makes no mention of anti gel agents. Is gelling no longer a problem?

4. Were in the heck do you put your owner's manual, cause t sure doesn't fit in the tiny glovebox?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, i dont know any answers but the OM does fit in the slot above the glove box. Open the glove box and its right below the handle.

Watty

Reaction score
Is your CRD a Sport or Limited trim. When I bought my CRD only the Limited versions were equiped with the nice things such as cruise, leather seats, etc. ?

Oberkanone

Reaction score
05 CRD

Cruise is optional on the Sport CRD and is not selected automatically with the diesel.
Limited Slip "Trac-Lok" is optional on Sport and Limited CRD for 05, and it is not even available on the 06 due to the standard stability control.

claudio

Reaction score
My CRD Limited has Cruise but not leather seats neither sunroof

Claudio

Oberkanone

Reaction score
#1 and #2

Never use #1 in your CRD. ](*,) If you are concerned about gelling, use an additive.

Jeepin1977

Reaction score
I agree with Oberkanone, I use power services diesel-kleen in the summer months and it also gives me 6 points worth of cetane boost as well as additional fuel lubrication. When the winter months are here I will use diesel fuel supplement which not only improves cetane but is an anti-gel as well. If I still have a freeze-up I have diesel 911 along just in case. Up here in North Dakota diesels get put to the ultimate test during the winter months as in january our average temps are about -2 below zero farenheit and temps as low as -20 below are not uncommon. Besides, number one fuel is absolutely stripped of any lubricating properties and is no good for your engine.

zerotact

Reaction score
mine's a sport, any way to add cruise?

I also heard that you need to make sure the anti gel agent will not clog filters....

Silver Streak

Reaction score
zerotact said:
mine's a sport, any way to add cruise?

I also heard that you need to make sure the anti gel agent will not clog filters....

You can buy the factory cruise control for most any Chrysler product sold, they usually go for around $200. The kit includes everything you need to add speed/cruise control. Once you install the Mopar system, your Libby will in fact have the exact same function as the factory cruise, and is even troubleshooted the very same way. I added one to a PT recently, takes about two hours and functions flawlessly.

Silver Streak

AAFD

Reaction score
Diesels are very tempermental about there fuel, go to stations that move a lot of diesels.

KC

zerotact

Reaction score
I got a fuel card at a place that only fuels comercial vehicles. So I assume they move a lot of fuel...

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CRD has an open differential. The trac-lock is optional.

I guess these guys are correct about the cruise. I didn't know you could get a CRD without cruise either. I thought all CRDs had the "c" package even on the sports. But I guess not.

zerotact

Reaction score
ON mopar.com 's website, I can find a speed control kit for the gas engines but nothing listed for a CRD... is this site just not updated?

2nd question:
I got the hitch and wiring installed by the dealer today.. It's the 7 prong connector. Assuming they hooked everything up correctly, will everything work but the brakes ( due to the lack of brake controller ) ?

Old Navy

Reaction score
Having grown up around truck stops and having owned MB diesel (83 sold last Dec and bought first gasser I've owned in years) to VW diesels (last was 02 model traded for the CRD) I have many years worth of diesel info to pass to the younger generation if it's desired.

Good diesel fuel in the in the US is like tryng to find a chicken with teeth.

Never buy #2 diesel from low volume source.

Don't be fooled by a sign on pump saying Premium diesel. There are five requirements for premium diesel, but only two have to be met to legally call it premium.

Never buy diesel at any place that has underground tanks. They are common water sources and if the station does oil changes they often dump used motor oil into the underground diesel tanks to save on the collection fee's for disposial, and it's not illegal in most states.

Use a good fuel additive every tank unless you are sure you are getting 50 cetane fuel or better. National average in US & Canada is 42 cetane with many companys selling fuel that's as low as 36 cetane.

If you can use a Bio diesel of B2 to B20 (B2=2% biodiesel & 98% #2 diesel and B10= 10% biodiesel & 90 #2 diesel) for best fuel and it's worth the extra money it cost in some areas. This fuel will usually be 46 to 50 cetane and you will notice a difference once it cleans out your system. This may require a filter change out if you have been running crappy fuel too long. A B10 fuel will quiten your diesel down to about the sound of some gassers at idle. (remember your diesel pumps about the half of the fuel that come to the IP (Injection Pump) back to the tank without it going into the fuel rail, so being rid of crappy fuel takes longer then you might think unless you run it to empty.

When using biofuel use a biocide on a regular basis of at least once a month to as often as every tank. Depending on things like weather to precentage of bio fuel and type used.

Diesel engines don't liked to be babied or driven like a hearse.

On a VNT turbo equipped engine do at least one max boost per tank, in the winter maybe two or the VNT will eventually have problems obtaining full boost. This can be expensive repair if not under warranty and your not a good wrench turner.

Always use a proper diesel rated oil, such as Mobil 1 0w-40, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV which is same as Mobil Delvac 1 or other full synthetic oil rate for diesel use. If using the Mobil 1 T & SUV/Delvac 1 with a synthetic oil filter such as Mobil 1 M1-211 the oil change interval can be an easy 12,000 miles. Even without the synthetic filters I have done 10k oil changes for years on diesels without any problems and I did have oil samples tested and the oil test always came back ok to run another 10,000 miles.

Looking forward to V6 MB diesel in LX cars next year for 07 models, that way I can trade the gasser Magnum for a diesel version. Love the Magnum even if it is a gasser, but with that 3L turbo diesel it would be a barn burner. This engine will also be offered in the Jeep Grand Cherokee here in the US for 07 models.

Remember in emergency when no fuel is avbailable you can pour streight VO (Veggie Oil) if temp is warm enough and drive on down the road. Been there, done that. I added 1 qt to the MB on regular basis before BioFuel was available and never a problem and it had original injectors and IP when sold and the guy that bought is is running it on home made biodiesel made from WVO (Waste Veggie Oil) that he makes in his garage for the average of 40 cents a gallon this year. He says that will drop to about 20 cents now that he has paid for the equiptment.

Real engines don't have spark plugs

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zerotact -

FYI, kerosene and #1 fuel oil are not the same thing. Both are middle distillates but #1 is much "oilier" and has both greater lubricity and a higher cetane. Winter blending with #1 is a perfectly acceptable practice. Blending with kerosene (to a lesser extent) is commonly practiced in the far north.

Old Navy

Reaction score
indianrefining said:
zerotact -

FYI, kerosene and #1 fuel oil are not the same thing. Both are middle distillates but #1 is much "oilier" and has both greater lubricity and a higher cetane. Winter blending with #1 is a perfectly acceptable practice. Blending with kerosene (to a lesser extent) is commonly practiced in the far north.
This is quite true, the other difference in #1 D is that it has a lower BTU rating and slightly lower cetane value, which causes the drop in MPG durring the winter that diesel owners have always grumble about. Our VW's which were 50 mpg cars before winter fuel turned them into 45 mpg cars in the winter, the old MB would drop from 32 hwy to about 28 mpg on the winter fuel.

Something I forgot to mention is if you buy fuel in S. Cal in Jan and then head to Chicago you had better have added a bunch anti-gel and carry some PS 911 emergency de-gel or you might have some problems you don't want.