Broken key.

Discussion in 'How To' started by Brandon Wright, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright New Member

Hello all. New to the forum here.
    I searched the forums for possible solutions to this question before I generated an unnecessary post but I couldn’t find anything sooo... here goes

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited for $300.00
    The two rear windows had fallen and broken inside the door and the previous owner was tired of the constant repair on the windows so I bought it.

Fast forward I go to pick up the vehicle and find out after I bought it she broke the only key she had off in the ignition.
    I’m sure I can get the broken piece out but the issue is getting another key for it.

I’m just wondering what my options are.

Thanks in advance

2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the forum. $300/Limited, wow now that sounds like a great deal!
    That must have been one worn off key. If you have both sections of the key, an auto locksmith should be able to help get a new one, programmed up.
    The windows repair look here: http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13005.html

3. Brandon Wright

4. Brandon Wright

Great. Thanks.

I’m new to the Jeep world so forgive me if my next question is ridiculously stupid. Is it possible to replace the entire immobilizer?
    I have done it in other vehicles. (Toyota) just wondering if it would be plug and play or if the ECU would recognize it.
    I attached a photo of the part. I can get it for $80

Attached Files:

5. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

For piece of mind, I would much rather have the security, and you could possibly have a working key for $80.