Brake problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

venturaII

Reaction score
Rear brake problems

I'm having some trouble diagnosing a brake issue. I have an '04 Sport with NV3550 and no ABS, and a small OME lift with 245/75's. The issue is that the rear brakes are not working as they should, and I'm going through front pads and warping front rotors as a result. I had the rear axle up on jackstands, and when idling in 1st gear, I can't drag the engine down to a stall using just the brake pedal, no matter how hard I step on it. The calipers DO work a bit, but not enough to really work well. I first tried bleeding the brakes, since they were due anyways; there was plenty of fluid flow and I got a tiny bit of air out, but no change in behavior. So, I replaced the rear calipers, assuming those were the most likely culprits, but still with no change in behavior. This leaves just the combination valve and the master cylinder, but I'd rather narrow it down to one or the other, rather than just replacing them both, if possible. The combination valve is a bit odd looking, as it has no safety switch on it. Anyone experienced these symptoms with their rear brakes and if so, what was the solution? Any suggestion for diagnosing if the combo valve and master cylinder are working correctly? I'm inclined to think the issue is the combo valve since the master is moving fluid to the rear when I bleed them, but it's just a guess. Any help is appreciated.

Thx-

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a pair of vise grips on flex hose (just not hard enough to damage it). See if pedal seems higher/harder than without VGs. If it is, ya ain't got em bled enough yet.

Bob