BMW Coolant Use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2003 Liberty with the Chrysler coolant that was put in when the heater core was replaced. Coolant is a little low and I want to top it off. I have some BMW Coolant that is a HOAT formulation, which is what Daimler used in Jeeps when they owned them.

Has anyone mixed these two coolants?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's clearly listed as HOAT, don't matter if color's different, it's still HOAT.

Bob

EDIT; If it's full strength, mix to 50/50 with water.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bob and say its OK to top off.

Just be aware there are different formulations in coolants besides the HOAT package. My Toyota takes a HOAT based coolant but requires it be silicate free. I believe the Mopar and Zerex G-05 are both low silicate. Zerex makes an Asian compatible version that is HOAT and silicate free.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BMW coolant is phosphate, amine, & nitrite free but does have silicates in it from what I understand. I also believe that the Chrysler coolant of the 2003 vintage (or Zerex G-05) does as well. BMW went extra lengths to protect both the aluminum and the plastic parts within the cooling systems so I would think it is OK to use.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BMW coolant is phosphate, amine, & nitrite free but does have silicates in it from what I understand. I also believe that the Chrysler coolant of the 2003 vintage (or Zerex G-05) does as well. BMW went extra lengths to protect both the aluminum and the plastic parts within the cooling systems so I would think it is OK to use.

Sounds like a good match to me. My Toyota also has some phosphate salts in there which the Mopar does not. Leave it to Toyota to make things difficult :emotions34:

Fortunately my Ranger and Subaru both take the old timey green stuff and my KJ and Avenger take the Chrysler compatible HOAT. Only the Toy is the outlier.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's clearly listed as HOAT, don't matter if color's different, it's still HOAT.

Bob

EDIT; If it's full strength, mix to 50/50 with water.

Bingo, in reality Coolant is clear as water. Dyes are added to distinct them from one another IE Brand via Manufacturer or Type. So if you have a red HOAT and a Blue HOAT say from some Auto Manufacturer and Aftermarket Manufacturer they're the same just different color dye.