Black goo on transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trip

Reaction score
Ive been shopping for a used KJ and noticed black goo on the transfer case on most of the 4x4s.......I have seen how close the oil filter is and Im assuming that is residue from past oil changes that is collecting the dirt and making it look like the transfer case is leaking......or do all the cases leak?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I purty sure there isnt an oil filter any where near the tcase? Maybe your thinking about the front differential? If so, it depends where the "black goo" is. If its near where the drive line goes into the diff, it could be a leaky pinion seal. If its on the front of the diff, its most likely from a crapy mechanic that doesnt clean up after himself.. O:)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the differential?

The transfer case is the on the underbody below the center console/driver seat area, looks like it has a star on it.

T-Case
You must be registered for see images attach

Differential
*seems I dont have a clear picture of the front differential, so heres one of the rear, it looks similar. Big round thing in the center of the axle)

Trip

Reaction score
Sorry.......I meant the front differential.......and I didnt climb all the way under but I think the oil filter is just above and to the left of the differential...so Im thinking that sloppy oil changes have dripped down onto the dif........ or do all these KJs have a leak....

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad, I'm a fool.

Here is a picture of the front diff.

This is what a leaky diff looks like, I had busted a seal on the drivers side.

The home dealership swore up and down that it was oil spillage, but it was not, I found another dealer who verified the leaking differential and fixed it for me.(warrantied)

It was also made apparent that spilling oil on that spot would have been a very complicated feat.

But to more accurately answer your question, leaking differentials is not a plague among libertys; I think I only recal it happening to one other person.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miah's got a dirty rear end!

Trip

Reaction score
thanks for the pics.....the two I saw today both looked alot worse than your leaker.....when looking at the case from standing in front of the bumper the whole thing is just covered with blackish goo, not just where the seal is....so anyway, this one is a used 04 with 41k, that should have plenty of warranty left on it to fix that..........or is the powertrain warranty only good for catastrophic failures

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe a leaky seal would be covered under powertrain.. ONly major things like engine, ******, front and rear axles bearings.. That type of stuff.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I dont believe a leaky seal would be covered under powertrain.. ONly major things like engine, ******, front and rear axles bearings.. That type of stuff.

I was told it covers the same material, but there is a $1000 deductable; so that would limit it to some serious stuff like you mentioned.

But yeah, if it was a leaky seal you would have to pay for the fix, and if you left it alone til the diff ran dry and the front axles seized, they probably wouldn't cover it because of poor maintanance or something.

Of course at 41k you might be able to find a nice enough dealer to sneak it through. :^o

Either way, whatever that "goo" is I would say figure out where its coming from. Or maybe look at some other libs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are buying it used from a dealer and there is something wrong with it the dealer should fix it anyway - free. Most states require some kind of used vehicle warrenty. Most of the used vehicles on dealers lots that I see are warrenteed by the selling dealer for 3 months/3000 miles. This would be seperate from any leftover factory warrenty which would be transferable to you anyway.

With a used KJ, give it a really really good test drive and get it on a dirt road and make sure the 4wd is working ok. Note anything you find wrong and make it a condition of sale that they fix it. Any reputable dealer should do this.

If you want you could hem and haw about the diff's and t-case and they will probably throw in fluid changes if they want to sell it to you. Been there and done that.