biggest tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saint Cad

Reaction score
I just recently got a Jeep (2006 Liberty Renegade) and changed out the POS Integrity tires for Bridgestone Bizzak (low temps, snow and ice 4 months a year). When Spring rolls around, I'm going to get 4 wheels and I'm looking at the Dynapro ATMs for the other 8 months. Some freeway and a few unpaved roads but little if any offroad trails.

So what is the real performance difference between 235/70/16 and 235/65/17 (or is there another tire size I should look at)?

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and not to throw a wrench in the works, but check out Toyo Open Country AT's. Much better tire than the Yokohama's far as I'm concerned, and I would believe a step up from Hankook's as well.

I'm with OSU on that. I owned 1 set of Yokohamas on a Nissan Hardbody (mini) Pickup. Don't remeber the make - don't care. They seemed to wear out just sitting in the driveway....

My 2006 Liberty came with the factory 17" rim package. This included the 235/65-17 Goodyear H/P (one of the most useless tires I ever owned).

As soon as the factory tires got thin, I went with the Toyo Open Conbtry A/T in that same size. Great tire, and at the time, one of the few A/Ts available in a size that would fit an un-lifted Liberty with 17" rims. Since then, more Mfgs now offer A/T tires in this size.

My only negative comment on the Toyo is I only got about 40K out of the "50K" tire. I have the same tire (265/75-16) on my full size Dodge, and wear seems to be much better. ( I think it's mainly due to the initial tread depth on the 17" was less.

The only problem you may have again is with the Dodge rim width/backspace. The Factory Jeep 17" rim is 7-1/2" wide, with about 6" from the rim's inner lip to the mating surface that goes against the hub. If the backspacing on the Dodge is less, and/or the rim is wider, it will push the tire out, causing them to rub due to the increased arc of travel.

Last edited:

r-zizzy

Reaction score
tires

i have a 2002 liberty sport 4wd. i have a set of 16x10" wheels, what tires do i need to get with or without a 2.5" lift?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
16X10" wheels are way to wide for a Liberty.
You'll have lots of rubbing everywhere.
Without a lift 245-70-16's mounted on 16X7" wide wheels work best.
Lifted, 245-75-16's on 16X7" wheels.
Four inches of lift, 265-75-16's on 16X8" is the best combo... And a regearing to 4:10's highly recommended.