BDS suspension questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off yes I know ome is the best but I have an opportunity to buy a BDS lift for my kj off a coworker for $200 never even been unpackaged. He bought the lift and his wife wrecked the jeep before he ever installed it. I've tried looking up info on it but BDS is too short to find in the search bar. I've read a few good reviews elsewhere on it but a couple that stated that the lift height seemed low. Any thoughts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First off yes I know ome is the best but I have an opportunity to buy a BDS lift for my kj off a coworker for $200 never even been unpackaged. He bought the lift and his wife wrecked the jeep before he ever installed it. I've tried looking up info on it but BDS is too short to find in the search bar. I've read a few good reviews elsewhere on it but a couple that stated that the lift height seemed low. Any thoughts?

Main issues with the BDS for a KJ is the fact you get no front shocks and the rear shocks are not that good. So you are basically buying 4 springs and hardware since they use their own top mounts.
BDS does make some killer lifts, for other models just not the KJ so much
BUT for 200 ( if everything is there) then add a good set of front and rear shocks and you're good

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is there, front and rear springs, front strut mount, rear shocks and new bolts etc. For a little extra lift do you think I'd be able to add a 1/4" top plate and 1/4" clevis and an extra isolator in the rear without running into too much of a problem?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything is there, front and rear springs, front strut mount, rear shocks and new bolts etc. For a little extra lift do you think I'd be able to add a 1/4" top plate and 1/4" clevis and an extra isolator in the rear without running into too much of a problem?
If adding both top plate and clevis you'll need to add two upper rear iso's per side

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on what tom has said, i am running the bds lift with bilstein shocks front and rear, 3/8" clevis lift, jba 1/4" top plate, 2 extra rear isos per side, jba a-arms. if you go with bilstein shocks for the rear make sure you use the metal sleeves included with the bds kit for the upper bshock bushing, bilstein does not include a sleeve and installing without one with kill the rubber bushing real fast. i have no issues with my lift, i just had the alignment done and the only problem was getting the caster angle in spec, (it is at 2.6 degrees IIRC and spec is something like 3.5), caster won't affect tire wear at all but does affect the steering wheel returning to center, (more caster angle=faster and more positive return to center). i will advise that you get to a dealership and buy spring isolators for the front shock/spring assembly as they are all you need to build the assembly after you get the front shocks, bds includes all the other hardware. i did my lift in the drive ways and built the front shock/spring assembly using a pair of craftsman suicide sticks and due to clearance issues with the impact i had to use a 13/16" open end wrench. sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps.