Battery Drainage - with lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I got some low profile lights from a friend, that run off a remote control and tap the battery for power.
(So you can turn them on and off whenever you like.)
Well I got two sets of the lights and the fronts I'm not worried about power/drain on the battery. But I was thinking about wiring the additional lights to aim out the back, and with the remote control, turn them on for towing reasons, etc, or just wire up one. (Possibly aiming out the sides might be kind of cool for out in the desert.
Does anyone feel that this might put a strain on the battery???

Of course this question might be aimed at Bennett, as he has a lot of lights.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at your charging system as your bank. If you take out more than you have readily available as cash (from the alternator), it has to come from your savings (battery). So, if you add up all your your amp draw, subtract it from your alternator output and it is more than your alternator puts out, then your battery will contribute to the cause.

Trodo said:
Okay, I got some low profile lights from a friend, that run off a remote control and tap the battery for power.
(So you can turn them on and off whenever you like.)
Well I got two sets of the lights and the fronts I'm not worried about power/drain on the battery. But I was thinking about wiring the additional lights to aim out the back, and with the remote control, turn them on for towing reasons, etc, or just wire up one. (Possibly aiming out the sides might be kind of cool for out in the desert.
Does anyone feel that this might put a strain on the battery???

Of course this question might be aimed at Bennett, as he has a lot of lights.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock alternator on the libby's puts out 136 amp, urll be fine. The libby has a very big alternator, dont worry about a few lights. I think bennett got a different (Bigger) alternator though, he also has way to many lights though. hehe.

Heres some little facts for u.

A normal aux. light is 55 watt. To get amps u take 55w/12v=that is 4.58x2 for 2 lights, so thats 9amps. So to get to 136amps u would need, 136ampsx12v=1632watts of lighting to max out the alternator. BUT, u have to take into play, the coil(spark plugs), normal headlights, fog lights, heated seat if u have them, windshield wipers, inside lights, door locks, all this crap take alot of amps, lol but urll be fine.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. Seeing how I don't have to go through the firewall, I'll wire the fronts this evening, then decide, 100w of side facing, or back ups?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I think bennett got a different (Bigger) alternator though, he also has way to many lights though. hehe.

nope, he he ... still running it off the standard 136 amp and its been working just fine. I've been thinking about getting a 200 amper tho.

Bennett

Members online

No members online now.