Anybody here run your own Sirius antenna??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Sirius radio car kit. I've just left the antenna laying on the dash so far. It picks up OK that way, but not great by any means. I want to actually stick it out on the roof. Problem is, I have no clue how to get the antenna out of the roof with the connection end inside on the dash, without being able to see the wires or pinch the wires.

How did you guys run your satellite radio antenna wire???

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
I ran mine through the third brake light, then under the passenger side trim

same, and here's a picture to illustrate

You must be registered for see images

rob_lewis

Reaction score
No picture, but I ran mine through the third brake light hole, too. IIRC, it was a bit of a struggle to get it that area, but it did.

I then basically ran it along the drivers side up in the door rubber and to the dash.

-Rob

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran mine through the 3rd brake light as well. Along the drivers side upper trim seals and down the A pillar into the side of the dash.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose XM, but the concept is the same. I ran the cable across the passengers bar there (where the handle is in newer libs) down under the door trim, to up the back pillar to the third brake light hole. Just move slowly, and it should be pretty easy.

There is a PDF from DC somewhere that details the installation. If you need it, I can prolly dig it up for you.

Let us know how it goes!

-Blu

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i stuck my XM antenna in front of the moonroof....ran the wires right out thru the moonroof opening! then snaked the wire around the overhead light to the front of the headliner, then behind everything else down to the dash. XM came with a cool vent-mount for the unit, i like it alot.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on that Jelohead- to me that would be a red-flag for leakage during a rainstorm.

-Blu

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx blu, so far, so good, been thru some nasty rain so far....but i hear your point. i've thought about moving it to the rear and thru the brake light like others have done, but, it works so doggon well where it is! i even found a station on my fm radio to tune it to that'll cover me for around 50 miles or more in most directions! great for the commute! no more changing stations every 20 miles!

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you run the wire through the 3rd brake light, there won't be any leakage of water into the headliner??

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyCRD said:
So if you run the wire through the 3rd brake light, there won't be any leakage of water into the headliner??
I have two wires (GPS and SIRIUS) running through the 3rd brake light, for more than a year, and havent had any leaks.

jkmansell

Reaction score
Picked up the factory install kit that hooks up to the factory radio. It came with a template to drill the hole in the roof in the rear and the cableing to run it up the passenger side. It was really easy and only took about 45mins for the whole job.

Jeff

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyCRD said:

Dab of silicone (and I mean just a touch) around the wires should be totally fine. I dont think I ever put any on mine, and it's fine.

-blu

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
I have the sirius antenna as well. i placed it on the back passanger side right next to where the cargo rack mounts to the roof. i then ran the antenna wire under that little piece of plastic that stems from the rack back to the rear window. ran it along the weather stripping all the way down the tailgate. pulled up the carpeting in the cargo area and ran it under then, then under the rear seats. then pulled up the plastic protectors by the rear passanger door and ran the wire under there then under the front passanger door. after this i ran the wire up behind the glovebox and out the front up to the sirius radio. i wedged the wire in the little crease between the dash and the passanger side air bag. i know this may be a bit confusing, but i will post pics when i can.

what i am looking for, is the best possible way to run power to the sirius unit. i dont want to keep using the cig lighter because the lighter is always powered, whether your jeep is on or off. i want to hard wire it somewhere so it will shut off when the jeep's acessories are turned off.
anyone do this yet?

robotmonkey

Reaction score
psujeeperman02 said:
what i am looking for, is the best possible way to run power to the sirius unit. i dont want to keep using the cig lighter because the lighter is always powered, whether your jeep is on or off. i want to hard wire it somewhere so it will shut off when the jeep's acessories are turned off.
anyone do this yet?

I did and I swear (for real, this time) that I'll take some pics and finish the write today or tomorrow.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once you run the cable in through the 3rd brakelight, why can't you just run it between the headliner and roof up to the front and then down the A-pillar?? Seems a lot easier to me. I guess I'll find out this afternoon.