Another A/C question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnmw1017

Reaction score
At the risk of asking stupid questions, is that a drain plug on the side of my A/C compressor ? What should be in there ?. I keep seeing comments about putting the same amount of oil in the replacement compressor as came out of the old one. After an hour or so, of rotating this way then the other then letting it sit, then rotating again, I got about ½ ounce outta the old unit. Pulled that plug and got about a teaspoon of oil outta there and pulled another ¼ ounce out of the accumulator. Kinda explains the noise the old compressor was making. Any one have any thoughts on how much oil to put in my remanufactured compressor ?. This is a 2002 Liberty Limited 3.7, auto trans 4X4.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were replacing a compressor, I would also replace the accumulator and flush the entire system. You can rent the flush kit from autozone, I use denatured alcohol to flush it. Then I would add the exact amount of oil that the FSM calls for into each component. Otherwise, its just a guess on how much oil to add. Too much and the system will underperform, too little and your new compressor will go kapow.