Air Ionizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one of these portable air ionizers that plug into the lighter plug as a gift a few years ago. If this were stuck in the lighter plug all day and night, would it drain out my battery? This particular ionizer is a stick-type with no fan or moving parts. It just gives off a weak, amber light.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the lighter plug in the front does not work when the key is turned to off. Right? However the plug in the back does (I have a small fridge that plugs in there that I have used).

I had one of those air ionizers (from Sharper Image) in several previous Hondas, and they didn't run either when the key was turned to off. I should get another one... They worked well.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all US-made cars' lighter plugs stay on at all times until you just mentioned that. I'll have to double check. But I could have sworn I used a power inverter once without the key in the ignition.

I'm thinking of getting a new ionizer from Sharper Image. I hear their ionizer/purifier products are pretty good. This one I have now is some weird, no-name product from Brookstone.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
You don't need the key on, the lighter outlet has power all the time

Bob

My former Honda's did not work when the key was off. I haven't even tried the front plug in my KJ yet... as I figured it was the same.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
American vehicles usually have power going to the outlets with the ignition off. It's those foreign things lol3.gif that are weird, and require the ignition on. IMO, highly annoying. #-o

What does the ionizer do?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
American vehicles usually have power going to the outlets with the ignition off. It's those foreign things lol3.gif that are weird, and require the ignition on. IMO, highly annoying. #-o

What does the ionizer do?

Looks like my assumptions were correct. Funny you say that about "foreign things"...they say the exact thing about our things. (biggrin)

Ionizers get rid of the crap and stench in the air; easiest way to put it. And there's a lot of crap and stink here. Skies are gray all year round...no kidding. Plus, I hate the gluey wood smell of my sub enclosure.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
You don't need the key on, the lighter outlet has power all the time

Bob

Not my 2002 KJ LTD. I needed the key on to light a cigarette with my lighter.

Maybe it's cause I have 2 plugs in front. The lighter needs the key. The second outlet doesn't.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah, the lighter part needs the key inside, but the outlet next to it doesnt. i can charge me celly w/o the thing being on.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have one outlet and it stays powered all the time.

Thanks for the link, grogie. I'll have to think about that one, though. I like the four AA battery option, but I just can't stand the look of it. yupnope.gif Maybe I'll put it somewhere inconspicuous.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air ionizers and ozone

You don't use this while in your car do you? These things put out unsafe levels of ozone. I don't think I'd want to continually expose myself in a confined space, like a house or especially a car. I've used ozone products to remove odors from seats, but it was an aerosol and I made sure it air out before I got in. Most people hear about how important ozone is and assume it is a good thing. It is, high in the atmosphere, but not in your lungs. Check this link:

http://www.airtesters.com/ionizers.cfm

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Air ionizers and ozone

VTNomad said:
You don't use this while in your car do you? These things put out unsafe levels of ozone. I don't think I'd want to continually expose myself in a confined space, like a house or especially a car. I've used ozone products to remove odors from seats, but it was an aerosol and I made sure it air out before I got in. Most people hear about how important ozone is and assume it is a good thing. It is, high in the atmosphere, but not in your lungs. Check this link:

http://www.airtesters.com/ionizers.cfm

I can appreciate where you are coming from on all this. But to me, everything in this world is rated unsafe. There's always some study some where stating some product, idea or food is not good for the health. I've seen the filters that come from ionizers and think whatever is in those filters are not in my lungs; good enough for me. But I may be fooling myself; I don't know. But I live in a city where skies are black & gray all year with stores that sell personal oxygen tanks and there's always reports of diseases, allergies, and sickness on the local news.

Anyway, I decided to go with a cheaper solution...sprayed Febreze all over the sub enclosure and got an air freshener. Now my KJ smells like Vanilla! (biggrin) It won't clean anything in the air, but my main focus was to rid the smell.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The large air cleaners that I have, their in main parts of my house so I'm not worried about putting out too much ozone. Yeah, I wouldn't sleep with one on in a closed room. But dang, they do a great job acting as a filter and are easy to clean. As far as being in a car, cars aren't really sealed of from outside air very well. I did have a car one time that had a musty smell to it, so I put a larger unit in the car to run for several nights, and no more musty smell!

Latest posts

Members online