Added cruise control to my 02 Sport for $50 today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had arranged to buy a complete steering column(with cruise and audio controls) and the cruise control actuator off a 2003 for my 2002 Sport. They wanted $75 for the column and $35 for the actuator. Very reasonable. When I went to pull the parts today the actuator only took 10 or 15 minutes to pull. The steering column was a mess though. It had no key, lots of wear and was spinning free since the rack and pinion had already been pulled. Figured the clock spring was toast. I decided to just take the cruise and audio controls instead of taking the time to pull the whole column. I only really wanted the controls anyway, but they would only sell the entire column. When I went in to settle up I told them I only took what I needed, but I was fine with paying the full price we agreed on. Long story short they only charged me $50 for everything.

Now to the install. I was so disappointed when I pulled my airbag and saw that my clock spring only had 3 pins and the one I pulled it from had I believe all 6. Well, I immediately ordered a new clock spring, but decided to install everything including the rear audio controls while everything was apart.

After I had everything back together with the 3 pin clock spring I wanted to take it for a test ride to make sure there wasn't going to be any problem with having everything installed except the new 6 pin clock spring. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!! I started pushing the cruise buttons just for the heck of it and the cruise light came on. I couldn't get it to engage though. I kept driving and kept pushing buttons. It was actually working, but wouldn't engage until I hit 35 mph. I don't know if that's normal or not. Also the resume doesn't work unless I'm going at least 30 mph. The cruise light always stays green when on. Not sure if that's normal either. My other cars do something to show whether cruise is active(engaged) or not. Some turn red, others show a tick mark above the cruise symbol. Honestly though, I'm just happier than a pig in your know what.

Thought I was going to need the dealer to reset the cruise to get everything working whether or not I had enough pins in the clock spring from what I've read on the forums. My brother that's been a mechanic his whole life told me earlier in the day that he didn't believe that was true. As long as it was just a reset and not the dealer having to go in to add components, he said just disconnecting the BCM for 10-15 minutes should do it. I never disconnected the BCM, but I did have the battery disconnected for a few hours so I'm guessing that accomplished the same "reset".

I'm still going to install the new clock spring because I'm guessing those other pins are required for the rear audio controls. I'll do a little research before I open up the box though.

All in all, it was a great day!!!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a really nice upgrade, especially for that price! :favorites13:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those speed limitations before it works, are normal. Mine also simply illuminates green when turn on, but does nothing different when the cruise is engaged. I guess I know my cruise is engaged because my foot is off the pedal and the Jeep is not slowing down!

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input. Was about to pull out the manual to see if "all" was normal. Once I get the new clock spring installed I'll see if I can get the rear audio controls working with the Kenwood head unit with the Axxess ASWC-1.

My02Libby

Reaction score
Do you have a parts list write up on this?
I would like to do this upgrade to my 02 Libby sport..
Any wiring involved? And did your stereo controls work?

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was much easier than I expected on my 2002 Libby. As long as you find the electrical connector taped to your passenger side front fender right behind your air cleaner it's pretty much plug and play. The rear audio controls were a little more involved because you do have to pull the steering wheel(really no big deal) and I had to replace my clock spring. My clock spring only had 3 pins. The other 3 were cutoff flush on both sides for some reason. If you can find a rear cover with the cutouts and switches already installed that would save you around 30 minutes on the install.

You will need the actuator, throttle cable, vacuum line and the switches(with harness/cable). Seriously, it should take you no more than an hour to install cruise after you have the parts in hand.

The actuator gets bolted right above the passenger strut. The bolts are already there. You'll just need the 3 nuts. I forget the exact size and pitch, but they're the same as the ones holding your radiator overflow.

Then feed the vacuum line back to the firewall where you'll find a T with a plugged end.

Feed the actuator cable back towards the firewall and then loop it back towards the existing throttle cable. Push in the tab right below the existing throttle cable bracket to slide out the cable. Slide in the cruise throttle cable and clip the end to the nipple already on the throttle plate. Then reinstall throttle cable into the bracket.

Here's a good link for the rear audio controls:

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Installing steering wheel mounted radio controls:

Here's a link that covers most of the cruise install:

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Installing factory cruise control on the CRD

Latest posts

Members online