AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shims are on the shaft to control the air gap. The clutch plate wears down over time so the air gap changes.

I took the only shim off that I had. Some vehicles may have 1, 2, or 3 shims, you can take the clutch off to see. A clutch holding tool would be great but I used an impact wrench successfully. I used a torque wrench on reinstall, 11.5 inch lbs I believe.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im going to attemp to pull mine off later tonight once it cools down a bit here and see what i can do... its a killer when its 105 degrees out and you have no AC!!! and a 1 yr old child you need to take places.. thanks for all you info and help... hopefully mine will work like yours and i wont have many problems...

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok.. i just took out that shim and cleaned all the rust off the clutch and the magnet and everything seems to be working great!!! well see if it lasts? hopefull it will

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good stuff, mine is still working. the temps have been in the 90's and it is doing great, cycling on and off a lot less now as well, which is nice for the pressure tubes.

I too am hoping this fix works for some time to come! Hopefully others will try this before taking it to a stealer and being 1500 in the hole on a new compressor installed, or hell about 750 on a new compressor if you do the work yourself.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my compressor and dryer done at a shop with 12k/1yr warranty for 750

but my clutch had frozen/burnt up and was horribly noisy, a little different then your symptoms