ac clutch not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surveyboy

Reaction score
so, we have an 02 with the 3.7l engine.

ac has been working normally for ages, and then sunday, halfway back from donner, it blows nothing by warm air.

got to looking at things today, (thinking the system lost the last of the freon) but started the engine and noticed that the condenser clutch isn't engaging at all when the switch is on (blower motor is working though)

also, i've noticed that there seems to be a black substance baked onto the ac bracket and around the area (oil???)

so, any thoughts?? electrial?? switch?? ac compressor give up???

thanks

Last edited:

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be that you are low on refrigerant. There is a low pressure cut off switch - two wires leading to a plastic cap on the low pressure line - disconnect the switch and short it using a jumper, while the engine is running and the ac turned on... the clutch should engage. If the clutch does engage, the system is low and needs to be recharged.

The black residue on on the bracket could be oil from the ac system. It is usual for the compressor seal to leak on older vehicles. When the seal gets to where you have to recharge the system more than once a year... it's time to replace the seal.

surveyboy

Reaction score
ok, thanks. I'll check the switch tomorrow, i've already got some r134 cause initially we thought it might have just been low on the refer.

i'll let ya know what i find

Members online

No members online now.