ABS ESP/BAS Traction Control HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havik

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 4x4, that I have just purchased a week ago. And in that short amount of time I've had all 3 ABS ESP/BAS and traction control lights come on. Now here's my real problem, when I'm driving, my car will suddenly slow down to about 5-7 MPH and I hear a slight noise coming from one of my wheel areas. Now this only happens every so often. Then my Jeep will drive just fine for awhile with no problems, but then it all starts again. I've taken it back to the place that I bought it from, and they said the left rear speed sensor needed to be replaced. I've found plenty of other threads online about this issue but only a few have mentioned the slowing down all of a sudden part. And I can't seem to find any real answer from anyone other than "Take it in to the dealer". If anyone out there can help me even just a little bit I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S.-If this is in the wrong section please forgive me I'm new to these forums and just looking for help.

Last edited:

Martin059

Reaction score
Jeep Liberty are garbage. I bought a 2011 wish I didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have that fancy stuff on my 05 but the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Brake Assist System (BAS) is just as it sounds. If you have a flaky wheel speed sensor it will activate as it thinks the wheels are moving at different speeds and you are potentially out of control. It will cause braking in an attempt to correct the issue.

Havik

Reaction score
I don't have that fancy stuff on my 05 but the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Brake Assist System (BAS) is just as it sounds. If you have a flaky wheel speed sensor it will activate as it thinks the wheels are moving at different speeds and you are potentially out of control. It will cause braking in an attempt to correct the issue.

Yeah that's what I've mostly found. Just the sudden slowing down on the highway scared me lol Just wanted a little more reassurance

nnote

Reaction score
I believe you can hold down the ESP button for 5 or 10? seconds before you drive off, and it will shut down the ESP system until your next drive. That may get you through until you get your sensor fixed.

Havik

Reaction score
I believe you can hold down the ESP button for 5 or 10? seconds before you drive off, and it will shut down the ESP system until your next drive. That may get you through until you get your sensor fixed.

I'll try that for sure...thx man

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish you hadn't too. Cuz you're an idiot. Get off the site (biggthumpup)
Not the libertys fault that you bought a lemon. Likely from an unreliable source without thoroughly diagnosing and inspecting the proper areas. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't inspect the vehicle yourself, then blame the manufacturer because you neglected to acquire the proper knowledge prior to thoroughly balance decisions and choose the more intelligent option.

-sincerely
Liberty owner, 221,820 faithful miles on my "garbage". You sir, and the previous owners of your lemon, are the garbage. Not the liberty. :emotions34:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This section of the forum is the 2002 to 2007 model dumb dumb, if you can't read you probably haven't been maintaining your vehicle either

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You musta bought a lemon or one badly maintained I have both 04 and 2010 no issues aside bad maintenance from po on the 04 and zero on the 2010. Don't make it the vehicles fault coz you got screwed.

2004 3.7 limited

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 4x4, that I have just purchased a week ago. And in that short amount of time I've had all 3 ABS ESP/BAS and traction control lights come on. Now here's my real problem, when I'm driving, my car will suddenly slow down to about 5-7 MPH and I hear a slight noise coming from one of my wheel areas. Now this only happens every so often. Then my Jeep will drive just fine for awhile with no problems, but then it all starts again. I've taken it back to the place that I bought it from, and they said the left rear speed sensor needed to be replaced. I've found plenty of other threads online about this issue but only a few have mentioned the slowing down all of a sudden part. And I can't seem to find any real answer from anyone other than "Take it in to the dealer". If anyone out there can help me even just a little bit I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S.-If this is in the wrong section please forgive me I'm new to these forums and just looking for help.

Not sure if the Liberty in 2006 has this, but my 2008 Wrangler does. When you drive down the road, and track straight, is the steering wheel centered? If not you will need to adjust it if you mechanically inclined, or have an alignment shop do it for you.

The computer thinks you are turning one way or the other, but the wheels are turning at the same speed. When turning, the wheels rotate at different speeds. When the ECM sees the wheel turned and the tires rotating the same speed, it thinks you are breaking traction, and applies the brakes of the wheels it thinks are turning too fast, or lost traction.

Does this make sense?

Mike D.

Latest posts

Members online