A/C knocking noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to time I hear knocking noises, somewhere from underneath when A/C is on. Is this normal? It is not that loud but you can hear it like a knock and a knock there..

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe that is the sound of the compressor turning on and off. I hear mine every now and again.

Although I wouldnt call it a knock, I consider it more of a...

THWOOPK.

*Go ahead, say it out loud*

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
I may be wrong, but I believe that is the sound of the compressor turning on and off. I hear mine every now and again.

Although I wouldnt call it a knock, I consider it more of a...

THWOOPK.

*Go ahead, say it out loud*

Yup, I get the THWOOPK too. Its just the clutch on the compressor engaging. It gets louder the higher the rpms are.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, it might be similar to THWOOPK.
You can hear it best when you are idleing and A/C is at 1 or 2. The funniest thing is, whenever I hear it I get out and kneel to hear it again, it doesn't do it. I get back in and THWOOPK there it is.. I get out quickly once again hoping to catch it's next arrival, nope..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off-topic.

I was looking through your photos hyedipin, you know its normal for a rotor to rust..Right? Also, you show the back rotors in your pics and you said they are warped. Did you really warp the back brakes. If so, ive never heard of that. The front rotors are the ones that always warp. I was just wondering! O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not really sure, at that time when I got them fixed, we went down under the jeep and the mech showed me some spots that were weird colored and said these parts are warped (I had vibration to left and right on the wheel when I was braking down from 50 to 30), and yes they were front, not rear.. I closed that chapter since I paid the ugly grand to the dealer. Thanks for the info, I am not really that much of mechanic so it's good to know.

Thank you.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Off-topic.

I was looking through your photos hyedipin, you know its normal for a rotor to rust..Right? Also, you show the back rotors in your pics and you said they are warped. Did you really warp the back brakes. If so, ive never heard of that. The front rotors are the ones that always warp. I was just wondering! O:)

If you ride around with the e-brake on, or they get stuck on they can warp. Highly unlikely, but not impossible.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
8-[
f you ride around with the e-brake on
I did once or twice. I tend to use e-brake all the time, I don't want weight pressuring on the gears when it is on Park. On an incline it is pretty hard to get it out of park if the jeep rested on the transmission and I feel like it is getting damaged everytime I have to yank it out of Park to Drive as it struggles.. If I just pull brake before I "Park" it is much easier to get out of Park to Drive. (Aeh)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, tht was a good guess then huh. Make the constant pressure was just too much for them. Then again, isnt that EXACTLY what a parking brake is for?!