2006 Jeep liberty has a rumbling noise coming from underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kara Oxley

Reaction score
Hello I’m new to this so I hope y’all can bear with me! I have some questions on my 2006 Jeep liberty. I’ve taken it to the shop a few times for this rumbling noise that comes from underneath the jeep. I take it into the shop and they have provided different issues it could be wrong with it. First it was the rear brakes, which I have replaced. Second was the front brakes which I went ahead and had the shop replace. Still the same noise coming from underneath the jeep. Then it was the rattling from the heat shield on the catalytic converter which I fixed myself. this last time they replaced the driveshaft; they said that was the noise. Now they are telling me I need a new transfer case! I don’t know very much about this system and would like some good advice. Also the rumbling starts getting worse around 60 miles an hour to where it scares me to drive it. Thank you!

bond007taz

Reaction score
Hello I’m new to this so I hope y’all can bear with me! I have some questions on my 2006 Jeep liberty. I’ve taken it to the shop a few times for this rumbling noise that comes from underneath the jeep. I take it into the shop and they have provided different issues it could be wrong with it. First it was the rear brakes, which I have replaced. Second was the front brakes which I went ahead and had the shop replace. Still the same noise coming from underneath the jeep. Then it was the rattling from the heat shield on the catalytic converter which I fixed myself. this last time they replaced the driveshaft; they said that was the noise. Now they are telling me I need a new transfer case! I don’t know very much about this system and would like some good advice. Also the rumbling starts getting worse around 60 miles an hour to where it scares me to drive it. Thank you!
Does it sounds like metal scratching or dragging after a certain speed? I replaced the wheel hubs on both front tires and that didn't solve the issue. Turned out to be the front drive shaft... Didn't realize that noise would come from it like it was, but that was the issue.

Kara Oxley

Reaction score
The shop where I will never go again told me at first, it was the ignition cable that needed replaced. It sometimes gets stuck in part-time 4 wheel drive. Then the shop told me the noise was coming from my front brakes even though it didn’t have any of the symptoms of front brakes going out. So they put in front brakes and the noise continued. Then they tell me it is the driveshaft; like an idiot I replaced it now when I go pick it up after spending almost $2000 for the front brakes in the driveshaft, they tell me it’s the transfer case. I know it’s an older jeep but I think they are just ripping me off. I know this sounds by Jeep makes. It is a low rumbling sound that occurs when I’m going about 60 miles an hour or more. It really makes to drive it on the highway or anywhere for that matter. My rear brakes I’ve only had fir two years, but could it be coming from that? I need all the help I can get please. Thank you

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you, or one of your friends mechanically inclined enough to change the front and rear axle fluid, and transfer case oils? if so, that would go a long way to see if all 3 of them are in decent shape. if any of the oils come out silvery, then that is going to require further investigation. if any of the oils come out milky, that means that there is water in the oil, and that oil will need to be changed again after a short interval (say 50 miles or so) and try to drain the oils while they are warm (right after being driven). that will ensure that most of the dirt, metal, etc. is suspended in the oil, and most of it will come out. if you and or friends are not up to the task, just make an appointment to a DIFFERENT SHOP (YES they either don't know what they are doing, or they are sucking your wallet dry, most likely because your a woman). it *****, but i have seen it so many times that it is sickening.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, p.s. if you have to take your Jeep to a shop, stay around the shop while they are changing the fluids, if there is a problem with the oils, they will probably want to show you what they have found.

Joeyd900

Reaction score
MY wife had same problem 03 sport. I tightened up her engine splash shield and viola no more rumble at 55+. It was rattling against the cross member. Prob not you problem, but food for thought

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sounds like metal scratching or dragging after a certain speed? I replaced the wheel hubs on both front tires and that didn't solve the issue. Turned out to be the front drive shaft... Didn't realize that noise would come from it like it was, but that was the issue.
If you have access to it, jacking the whole vehicle up on a lift and activating the axles can be quite revealing of driveline issues.

Kara Oxley

Reaction score
If you have access to it, jacking the whole vehicle up on a lift and activating the axles can be quite revealing of driveline issues.
No, it just sounds like a loud rumbling from from underneath the Jeep almost like I have a flat tire. It starts at about 50 miles an hour or so and then I get a slight vibration as the speed increases.

xrey

Reaction score
I think the issue is the transmission shifter solenoid. Very common with this kind of keeps. I have the same issue and got the parts but got sick from Covid flu.

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
Last time there was a rumbling from under my jeep, I had asked my wife to turn the wheel while I looked at the front drive shaft, she turned the jack handle.

xrey

Reaction score
I had the same issues. I think it’s a Liberty thing. There’s a recap on rear suspension so you might want to check with the dealer. I changed everything, hubs, brakes, CV, and anything else I can think of. Three times alignment and numerous times balanced. Nothing. I think the Jeep Liberty is mostly lemon. Looking at a different car now.

Latest posts

Members online