2002 Liberty 3.7L Power Steering Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC56

Reaction score
Several times in the last year I have lost power steering. Each time this has happened, it was immediately after the engine revs higher than typical. (Once after I downshifted the auto trans to hold it back down a long hill, a couple of times after accelerating to enter a highway.) So far it just comes back by itself in a while, or the next day after sitting over night. Several days ago, my daughter (learning to drive) started the engine with her foot heavy on the gas pedal. It immediately rev’d to maybe 3000 rpm and again lost the power steering. It sat for two days before the power steering “came back”. I have replaced several power steering pumps on other vehicles – but when they fail, they have always made “funny noises” first so I knew I had a problem. With this, there has never been any noise at any time. I don’t want to change a pump unless I know that’s really the problem. Could there be like a valve sticking somewhere in the steering system? Fluid level is good, and fluid looks clean – should I try to change it first? (Consulted the local Jeep Dealership. Their advice: “2002 is getting kind of old; we can put you into something new…”)

My Liberty Sport has 75,000 miles on it. I have owned it for the last year and put about 12,000 miles on it in that time. Prior to that, it was well cared for, and not used heavily. Any ideas/advice appreciated!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to think about replacing your power steering pump, also if it is making funny noises it is on its way out. Also while you are in there you should replace the power steering lines as well.

BC56

Reaction score
Renegade 04, thanks for the reply. The thing is though that the pump does NOT make any a noise at all. I don't understand how the power goes out, then "fixes itself" just by sitting for a while. If the pump IS bad, this certainly isn't a normal failure mode? And how would a bad pump just get better? It doesn't seem to make sense. If the hydraulic lines appear good, would you still replace them?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the mileage on your jeep. you may want to change the lines as a PM.

Maybe there's something wrong with the pump's pulley?

BC56

Reaction score
OK on the hydraulic lines - only 75,000 miles and they look good, but they are almost 15 years old now, so probably would replace them if I pull the pump.
Pulley looks good, checked it when the power steering was out and it was turning, smoothly, belt looks good, no "foaming" in the pump reservoir. Thanks!