2 Issues This Morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ima90sJezus

Reaction score
Good Morning -

I notcied 2 issues this morning while coming into work this morning on my 2007 Liberty LTD. First off, it's cold out, very cold. -15F this morning, so when I first went out to start the vehicle this morning, it turned over fairly slow, I expected that, but as soon as it turned over there was a very high pitched whine. It ramped up and then stopped once the vehicle was running. Not sure what that may be, hope you all may have some ideas.

Second issue, which I believe is unrelated. After about 40 minutes of driving, the vehicle lurched while at speed (70mph) and the Electronic Throttle Control light came on. After that initial lurch, it appeard to drive fine. Once I got to work, I shut the vehicle off and restarted multiple times, but the light still comes on.. I'm not sure what this light is for.

Thanks again..

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your high pitch whine is most likely the power steering pump trying to pump the cold thick fluid. Switching to synthetic fluid greatly reduces if not eliminates this problem in cold weather.

I had this same issue with my last car(which was fixed with synthetic fluid) and also have it happening to my liberty now..... haven't had time to change it yet.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When -15 the power required to start is increased and your battery is struggling.
I like to have a C-Tek intelligent battery charger plugged in overnight. You can feel the difference, when your battery is fully charged.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47021
I use to have quite the power steering whine at -15+ before I suctioned out the power steering fluid in the reservoir and added a synthetic product that is safe to mix with the synthetic ATF+4 in your power steering unit called Universal Lubegard 32 oz Power steering fluid.
This takes away the stiff steering when cold as well as protects the seals, quieten the pump down immediately by removing friction. Good Stuff.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-199/LUBEGARD+Power+Steering+Fluid
The whine could also come from other areas like one of the pullys/tensioner or even form the starter motor itself, but it probably is just the power steering.
The engine & heater will also benefit from a block heater plugged in for 4+ hours on a timer before starting.
Not sure on engine code, /light..has to be read by scanner.

Last edited:

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whine On Starting

Common, often talked about subject. As already said it is the power steering pump loosening up the fluid. Reminds me of the days when diesel motors had small gas engines to start them, same noise. Whooupp.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably is the cold weather. I whine getting up when it is 20 below too. The MIL should go out after a few more driving cycles I would think.

Dave