AEM cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UTRacerX9

Reaction score
Well, I thought I would take a minute and post this up. Pics are below.

Before installing the CAI, I measured a 16.4 mpg average in my Liberty. At the time, gas was $4 a gallon, so I started looking for ways to improve it.

The first thing up was this AEM intake, and I'm pleased to say that now I am seeing a constant 17.5mpg, or an improvement of 1.1 mpg, with no changes to my driving whatsoever. I'm sure if I babied it I could get even higher. The route I drove was the same as always, to work and back in rush hour traffic. It works out to a 6.7% increase in gas mileage, so on that front I'm happy.

As far as power goes, low end grunt is much the same, however at higher speeds, 50+ mph, you can feel the newfound power a bit and it is noticeably faster when passing.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, it also cleans up the engine bay a bit. The kit is very well made, unlike some cheap Ebay ones I've seen.

Here's what it looks like installed.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Any questions, please feel free, thanks.

Todd

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the ebay one coming in the mail tomorrow its the exact same as that one

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The one in the PIC looks like it has a Stainless Steel filter, and if so; they are not for normal road driving. It is not a TRUE CAI, as it is still getting the hot air from the engine compartment. The original intake is more a CAI because the oval snorkel type tube comes up, and faces front, and colder air IS brought in from the outside.

I got my intake, and the A/C lines on my 2006 a run different than that picture. That's why it is a tight fit. Still, it works, but is not a CAI, but will be by the end of the summer; I will run a tube down another foot or so, to get cooler air from the outside. That, or punch a hole in the front plastic piece, and install an intake funnel.

Davare

Reaction score
What year is your Liberty?

I have an '07 and I am wondering if I can fit one in my Jeep.
I have noticed AEM doesn't make an '07 specific intake for the Liberty but they do make one for the '06.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
What year is your Liberty?

I have an '07 and I am wondering if I can fit one in my Jeep.
I have noticed AEM doesn't make an '07 specific intake for the Liberty but they do make one for the '06.

It would still be the same... They moved the A/C lines around quite a bit with these jeeps, mine ARE in the way, but the thing still clears the hood. On 07, they ran them different, AGAIN. You can look at my album here, to see how different the A/C lines are...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
No offense, but there is nothing cold about the air underneath that hood/bonnet! (argue)

Yeah, we quite clearly indicated that several times, in other threads too.

True CAI means cutting a hole in the hood, at a location where a scoop can be placed to route the outside air to the filter. Or dipping it DOWN far enough to catch it off the road, but too much stuff is in the way. OR, putting the snorkel on it...

The way I plan on doing it, is cutting a section out along the center "V", and putting a hood scoop, without a FRONT flat cross piece, so it looks nice. Then, you can attach a filter right to the TB unit, with at least 2" of tube to mount the IAT, and Breather hose; and walla, you got a nice intake. The cone shape would stick up out of the hood a little, but covered up by the scoop. There are many ways, but, none are easy.

I saw a Jeep Liberty with a Snorkel, and it doesn't look half bad, but the wife would interject; though I would install it, I would have to put up with attitude for a few months...