Wiring up new speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I just put a set of front door speakers(Infinity 6022i's) and went to hook up my amp and run new heavy speaker wire when.... I can't get the wire thru the rubber bootie that runs from the door to the cabin. There's a big wire connector there and no room to fish the new wire thru. Anyone else run into this snag, and is there an easier way to route the wires?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
billforde is your man when it comes to these.
How about taking some pictures and sharing with us? I finally convinced myself that I do not need to buy new speakers.. so please don't tell us if it sounds great! :)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have to take the rubber "bootie" out of its little sockets to route the new wire through....it'll be a pain to get the rubber "bootie" back into its little sockets but it should make routing the wire MUCH easier. I've had to do this on previous vehicles, but not yet on the KJ.

I do, however, have basically the same speakers you are installing (mine are the 6012i's) and you should enjoy those alot.....very clear mid's and high's, but NO bass. Maybe since you're amping them they will be a little better. Good Luck!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah hopefully they will sound better than stock:rolleyes:

The problem is getting the wire thru to the interior. At the end of the bootie there is a connector for pw,pl pm. Here is where the fun begins...the bootie covers that connector and the wire doesn't have any space to get by it, its a tight fit to say the least.

By the way, don't remove the rubber from its mount cause it is hard to get it back on right.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the issue of the connector being in the way in other vehicles, so I'm sure that's a pain. I know it's hard to get that rubber thing back on, but it's always made it easier for me to run the wires that way. Hope you get it figured out soon!

clmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it won't interfere with mechanicals, stuff some fiberglass in there behind the speaker - not packed, but full. I did that the last time I re-reinstalled some infinities in my '96 Grand and it helped a lot.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took an old metal coat hanger and pushed through it. Just make sure you dont push the boot out when you do it or hit some other wires. :)

nmCRD

Reaction score
Yet another method.

It is possible to run wires around that big wire connector behind the rubber bootie. Found this out when I installed the EVS-I, 06 KJ CRD as I placed the LED indicator next to the locking plunger (?) on the door panel instead of where the instructions indicated near the steering column.
Behind the rubber bootie is a plastic piece that snaps into the cab to seal the rubber bootie to the cab. The plastic piece has four tabs, two near the top on the sides and two near the bottom also on the sides, squeeze two together pulling on the bootie at the same time, then the other two you should see wires and hole in the cab or squeeze all four tabs at once. On the bootie are "PUSH" labels and behind the label the tabs.
Or, since I had to fish the wire through I just took the bootie off this leaves the plastice piece attached to the body, the plastic tabs and how the piece detachs from the cab becomes easier to see also there is/are slots/holes in the plastic piece where I ran the wire through, just above the big connector, I think there might be more holes in the bottom area.
Took me a while to put the bootie back on the the plastic piece, wanted to be sure it was sealed correctly and the assembly just snaps back into the body.
Also, FYI inside the cab area, at least on the driver side, the wiring passes through a rubber bung (~2" dia.) inside the cab to provide more sealing I guess. I just removed the tape and fished the wire through that too and taped back up.
So after all of this it is doable just takes time fishing the wire through and there is room to do that, at least on the driver's side.

Bootie removed with blue-white wire for LED.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rubber bung on inside where wire needs to come through.
You must be registered for see images attach

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so I was giving the DeWalt XRP a workout when I noticed the chuck was rubbing on the leading edge of the doorskin:eek: Needless to say I wasn't impressed, but that was the only option for running wires.....drill a new grommet hole. Sorry no pics....patients was wearing a little thin!

Once thru the metal, I went to insert grommet A into newly drilled hole B and whatdo ya' know, the metal is too thick for 3/8 grommet to fit:mad:

2 1/2 hours later..........speakers are in, amp is hooked up and all is well ( except the scratched door *sob*)

Latest posts

Members online