Want to run this one by you guys....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doogs

Reaction score
So my 2005 Liberty has had a light metal on metal sound coming from the front end for a few months, I finally got a job to get going to repair the issues. So far I have replaced front brakes...and by brakes I mean Lines, Calipers, Pads and rotors. I got it back today with the sound still happening, the sound becomes more apparent at higher speeds and occasionally makes a clunking sound when im turning or driving.....The mechanic is saying the CV joint on the front drive shaft, and will replace it for cost of part because he feels bad. Am I gonna round out my $700 investment to a solid $1,000.00? Or is this a true possibility?

AND...Input please

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2005 Liberty has had a light metal on metal sound coming from the front end for a few months, I finally got a job to get going to repair the issues. So far I have replaced front brakes...and by brakes I mean Lines, Calipers, Pads and rotors. I got it back today with the sound still happening, the sound becomes more apparent at higher speeds and occasionally makes a clunking sound when im turning or driving.....The mechanic is saying the CV joint on the front drive shaft, and will replace it for cost of part because he feels bad. Am I gonna round out my $700 investment to a solid $1,000.00? Or is this a true possibility?

AND...Input please
Sounds about right. CV Joint on the front Drive shaft. Just crawl under it and check the boot on the transfer case side to see if it's shredded. Pretty common issue. I've had the same issue.

The cost of the part is about $50 though and an hour, if that, of your time (even with zero mechanic skills). No need to swap out the entire driveshaft though.

Jeep Front Driveshaft CV Joint Kit: Driveshaft Parts

Doogs

Reaction score
the mechanic said he wasn't charging labor, we are getting snow Thursday night, so hes fixing it so I can go play for cost of part only.

And as he said...

"The boot is nonexistant"

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my front end was making a clunking sound, it was the intermediate shaft (picture of my new & old below). The rounded end was allowing the cv hub to flop around. It was also obvious, once I looked, because the hub was angled down when lined up to the axle housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doogs

Reaction score
Yea, thats what he said, under 100.....at least my front brakes are done LOL

Doogs

Reaction score
When my front end was making a clunking sound, it was the intermediate shaft (picture of my new & old below). The rounded end was allowing the cv hub to flop around. It was also obvious, once I looked, because the hub was angled down when lined up to the axle housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

the clunk is occasional, hes gonna look around and fix accordingly, hes one of the rare ones....AKA not a thief. He drives an old beat up caddy, has a small shop, but hes a good mechanic. I will post pics thursday

Doogs

Reaction score
Long story short.....I trusted a backyard mechanic friend of mine...let him do the brakes so he could buy his kids christmas gifts, I got ******. so it went back to my mechanic....and after a "don't do that again, ya hear me" speach...all is well

Doogs

Reaction score
Yeah definitely the CV on the driveshaft. Wish we could have told you BEFORE you invested so much!!

Now is it possible, that since the mechanic engaged the 4x4 to simulate the sound that there would be an occasional clunk when turning or hitting bumps? Im getting to the end of my rope because the car is spending more time broken than not.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x2, 4x4, turning, straight, angled up, angled down; all of these things might pull or twist the front drive shaft a little bit, all while spinning (even in 2WD!!). Now add a dry joint with dirt and grit in it because it has no boot or grease. This causes CRAZY noises.

Here's what mine did when it went:

Initially it was just in 4WD that I noticed a "roaring" noise at about 30MPH when pressing the gas. Never thought anything of it! Then, one day, I'm wheeling in the Pine Barrens and I get this TERRIBLE grinding noise. Like it sounds like a rock is between my rotor and my brake pad, but it wouldn't shake. One of my buddies ended up crawling under it and saying my CV boot was completely gone. Soon as I fixed it, both symptoms when away.

Others describe a light chain jingling. Others describe a bit of a louder noise. All coming from about the same area. I'd bet any amount of money it's been the problem since the start.

PLUS if he engaged the 4x4 while on dry pavement, he'd be causing binding in the entire drive line while turning. That's not good at ALL. That's how things more robust than the front drive shaft CV can break (and makes a lot of noise too).