Do you Drive off with Parking Brake still on Sometimes too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bad habit of not releasing the parking brake quite often.
Do other members not notice the brake light on too?
I wish there was an audible alert. (ding ding) LOL..
or how about one that says Hey dummy brake ON ...:icon_razz:
There is a switch that trips the brake light..any idea how to add an audible alert as well??:popcorn:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda hard since the KJ doesn't move very well with the parking brake on so no I never have.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but Troy you would know, since you obviously must have yours adjusted somehow properly.
What is the secret? Did u replace the cable or adjuster? IS there any cable slack adjustment I am not aware of?...
Mine is hard pressed to hold it even at at the best of times and its easy for me to drive off without really even feeling it.
The cable slack adjuster at lever is just crap. How do u tighten this cable properly? Even with new rear e-brake shoes..star wheels set, it has never worked or held properly, without the lever coming up so high(stretching the cable even more?), and using the screwdriver trick to get it to tighten back down.
I keep a long handled slot head in the glove box and it gets used after every use of the handbrake! I would like to fix it somehow too...so any thoughts appreciated on that topic...

Anyways....back to my interest of installing some sort of audible alert for the brake on would be also helpful....

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds like a rant but Troy you would know, since you obviously must have yours adjusted somehow properly.
What is the secret? Did u replace the cable or adjuster? IS there any cable slack adjustment I am not aware of?...
Mine is hard pressed to hold it even at at the best of times.
The cable slack adjuster at lever is just crap. How do u tighten this cable properly? Even with new rear e-brake shoes..star wheels set, it has never worked or held properly, without the lever coming up so high(stretching the cable even more?), and using the screwdriver trick to get it to tighten back down.
I keep a long handled slot head in the glove box and it gets used after every use of the handbrake! I would like to fix it somehow too...so any thoughts appreciated on that topic...

Anyways....back to my interest of installing some sort of audible alert for the brake on would be also helpful....
I have Ford rear brakes('96 Explorer rears),problem solved for me.

1st step is to clean and lube every moving part in the parking brake assembly,most important is the star adjuster wheel threads as it must spin freely even under pressure.Then keep them clean.If you use the parking brake a lot you could have stretched cables,not a fun job to replace on a KJ and no way to tell if there stretched.Need to measure the rotor hat as it's a drum brake and wears so a "out of spec" rotor hat can make adjustments not possible.Since you've driven with the brake on the shoes could be glazed and the rotor hat glazed or rusted so the shoes will not hold no matter how tight it is.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Troy Appreciated.
Ok how do I say this...hmmm...
If I look at the lever cable when lever is down I can see lots of slack in the cable...
Would it be safe to say that when the lever slack adjuster should be taking up the slack it often does not, until you hold the tab back while lifting up on lever...
There is a fault in the slack adjuster itself. Is there any way to re-engineer this problem, or cut the cable and put a manual screw joiner or something to make it tighten again...
Was there ever any updated parts for the KJ to assist in this?
The main problem the way i see it is you need to get more pressure onto the shoes into hat, and it just aint easy with slack in cable.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never forgotten to take my brake off, but my parking brake is hit or miss.sometimes it will hold great sometimes it does nothing. I thought it might be a problem with the backing plates but I checked them over really well the other day because my axle is already stripped down. But what I did find is that the parking brake levers inside the drum were really rusty and one was completely seized up. I bought new levers at the dealership ($100) and I'm hoping that will fix mine. Maybe you have the same problem. Worth a look I think.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well let us know if the drum brake levers do the trick or not.
My rear brakes are all new, from rotors to pad/shoes/spring kit/lubed and spotless, 7000km ago.
I will remove them soon to inspect & make sure I did not eat/glaze the rear e-brake shoes. And check the wheel threads as Troy mentioned for sure.
My problem is that I jump between different vehicles, and one of them has an audible alert, the kj dont...and one has a really bright large brake light and the kj dont.
I dont even pay attention to the simpleton dash on the KJ or see if the brake light is on half the time...my close vision/ eyes aint what they use to be either.
The handbrake slack adjuster on the KJ is really a complete failure.
In the case where u have a 5 speed, it is so important to have a good working handbrake over an auto.
The other thing to mention is should u ever lose your main brakes (ask me how I know) if all you have to rely on is gearing down & your e-brake, in the KJ I'm in big trouble.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Troy Appreciated.
Ok how do I say this...hmmm...
If I look at the lever cable when lever is down I can see lots of slack in the cable...
Would it be safe to say that when the lever slack adjuster should be taking up the slack it often does not, until you hold the tab back while lifting up on lever...
There is a fault in the slack adjuster itself. Is there any way to re-engineer this problem, or cut the cable and put a manual screw joiner or something to make it tighten again...
Was there ever any updated parts for the KJ to assist in this?
The main problem the way i see it is you need to get more pressure onto the shoes into hat, and it just aint easy with slack in cable.
That parking brake handle does not have a slack adjuster,what you have found from searching is actually a lockout tab for servicing the parking brake like replacing the cables and such.When you buy a new parking brake handle assembly it will come in the locked position.

That single cable coming of the handle goes to a metal piece that then connects to the left and right cables,I've seen that little metal piece bent before also.You have to pull up the rear carpet(rear seat removal required) to access that part of the parking brake cable.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, no I never forget. It's a force of habit, drop the clutch pedal, and release the brake. Plus, I pay attention to any lights that may be on in my dash! Are you also in the habit of walking around with your fly open? ;)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys actually use that thing?! lol! :p

I VERY seldom even use the parking brake, but when I do, it holds my KJ rock solid (yes, I've tried it...on purpose).

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
999 times out of 1000 will I take off with it still on. Though mine works half the time, if I'm on an incline I leave it in gear just to be safe.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Never drove off with mine on either, and I use mine often since I'm used to driving a manual although my KJ is not. Mine was awful when I first got it. Had to really pull to the limit for it to hold but after I replaced everything back there it works great. Of course mines an 02 so the big old drums are still there. I find all the warning lights to be very conspicuous.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The main reason I use my hand brake with an auto is I dont like the clunk when it hits the pawl (rolling slightly after stop forward or back) I use the hand brake to prevent this.
I'm afraid of any damage to transmission. Should this be a major concern? 42RLE
I read this a long time ago as well:
Replacing a worn or broken parking pawl is expensive. To prevent premature parking pawl failure always set the parking brake before you place the transmission shifter lever in the Park "P" position. Doing so insures the weight of the vehicle is being held by the brake rather than the parking pawl. Following this tip will help keep your automatic transmission in top shape saving you both time and money.

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are supposed to use the parking brake with an auto to protect the parking pawl.

The parking pawl on my recently-acquired van is toast thanks to the PO repeatedly parking it on an incline without using the brake; I have to use the parking brake to keep it from rolling in park. Fortunately, I have a good used ****** to replace it with in time.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I do use mine when on an incline/decline and have in any vehicle for as long as I can rememeber. Dad told me to way back and it stuck.

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull my park brake on every time I park my KJ and release it every time I drive it away from a stop.But, it is merely a habit because the park brake does not now nor never has held. A five pound rock and a length of anchor rope would be more effective.