Any 2.4 petrol manual drivers out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone with a 2.4 petrol manual has had a rattle underneath?
More distinct when its cold and slowly disappears as it gets hot (The Jeep, not the weather). If I had to put money on it I would say it was the exhaust just vibrating slightly on a cross member or something when the drive is taken up and then when it warms up it expands and moves away from the cross member a bit. Its that sort of noise. Had my Jeep for 3 years and still can't find what is causing it. Been underneath several times trying to cure it but still not stopped it. Fitted new exhaust rubbers, tried repositioning the exhaust, tightened every nut and bolt I can find under there and it is still doing it and its driving me nuts! It comes in at about 1500 rpm and lasts till about 2000 rpm, worse when its labouring up an incline or something. I am starting to wonder whether its an engine mount or gearbox mount but they all seem ok and they will probably cost a fortune (UK) so I just wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar? Over to you guys? Help!!!!!!!!!!!

greg_kj

Reaction score
I've got a 2.4L manual and I've got the same rattle too. Have made 80k miles with it. It's definitely a transmission related sound, cause it comes and goes when I play the clutch pedal. Maybe the clutch release bearing. Maybe some loose parts in the clutch itself. The previous owner had substituted the original clutch with an aftermarket one. Maybe it's even the flywheel, that contains an internal damper spring (hate the design!).

While this rattle isn't getting worse, I feel not ready for any deep investigations. Maybe look there then I'll be doing clutch some day.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2.4L manual and I've got the same rattle too. Have made 80k miles with it. It's definitely a transmission related sound, cause it comes and goes when I play the clutch pedal. Maybe the clutch release bearing. Maybe some loose parts in the clutch itself. The previous owner had substituted the original clutch with an aftermarket one. Maybe it's even the flywheel, that contains an internal damper spring (hate the design!).

While this rattle isn't getting worse, I feel not ready for any deep investigations. Maybe look there then I'll be doing clutch some day.

Hi Greg,
Not sure if it is the same rattle, as mine only does it whilst actually driving and not standing still. Or did I misunderstand what you meant? I have had a new flywheel and clutch fitted under warranty shortly after I got it and it was doing it before and still doing it after although that was to cure the problem of not being able to engage any gears while stationary. A bit embarrassing at traffic lights! Hehe. And thanks jcbll95, maybe I need to put another 100k on it as I have only got 68k on mine. Maybe it will disappear then? Hehe. It is just so annoying and I can't find what it is and now it has become personal. Man against machine! Hehe. I still think it maybe engine mounting or gearbox mounting related but don't want to go forking out on them until I am sure. It just sounds like an exhaust vibration on a cross member if you have ever had one of them? But it is definitely not exhaust. Hey ho. I will persevere unless someone else has any ideas? Thanks again, Steve :favorites37:

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are very few of us 2.4/5 speed owners on here... my '03 with 81k makes that noisy vibration at idle when cold like you described. I have no problems with it's performance however. I researched the transmission itself one time (can't remember model number) but read that other Chrysler vehicles with the transmissions typically have the same sound. If I am correct, the trans. was used in Dakota's at one time that had a 5 speed.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are very few of us 2.4/5 speed owners on here... my '03 with 81k makes that noisy vibration at idle when cold like you described. I have no problems with it's performance however. I researched the transmission itself one time (can't remember model number) but read that other Chrysler vehicles with the transmissions typically have the same sound. If I am correct, the trans. was used in Dakota's at one time that had a 5 speed.

That's cos we are special!! Hehe.
I probably haven't described it correctly. It's fine when its idling, its when you are driving and is worse when cold but just about disappears when its warm. That's what is annoying me. If it did it all the time I would accept it as a Jeep thing but the fact it nearly disappears when its hot implies something moves slightly when its hot due to expansion and moves away from whatever it's touching and making the rattling sound. It does it in all gears while driving and worse under load about 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm. Not the end of the world but I like things to be right! I will find it one day or maybe someone else will chip in and say they had it on theirs and tell me they cured it by ?????????????????? Forever the optomist eh? Hehe. :party52:

Latest posts

Members online