2007 Liberty won’t allow me to put in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joejoe4224

Reaction score
When it is off, I am able to shift it into all 6 gears and reverse, but when it’s on, it won’t even let me attempt to engage the gear. I read somewhere that this is a good indicator that the gears are most likely not the issue, and that it is something in the clutch area. Fairly amateur at transmission maintenance, replaced a throwout bearing about 2 years back, but that’s the extent. Was wondering if anyone is able to give me an idea as to what is happening or if there are any ways to diagnose the issue further without jumping the gun and dropping the transmission.

Thank you in advanced!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
First guess would be the clutch slave cylinder, though I’m not familiar with the manual transmission. I did have to replace the clutch slave in my XJ every five years.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the clutch fluid level, if its low look for the leak, if its ok you could put axle stands under the rear and start it up in gear (make sure you are in 2wd!) Then see if the clutch is working by stepping on both pedals, if you can't de-clutch then you have found the problem.

Reactions: klc

budget76

Reaction score
I agree. sounds like clutch is not moving properly under foot pressure, so you cannot easily move shifter. Do not know age of vehicle, access details, but if this were my vehicle, I would never hesitate in changing the failure point be it slave cylinder or master, or if easier no fluid condition. Keep us in the loop.

Latest posts

Members online