What first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Where to start on making KJ from a capable offroader into a great offroader, that's the question! So what are your opinions, based on the enviroment and terrain you are driving. In what order one should build a KJ? Mine goes:
1 winch
2 diff locks
3 skid plates
4 lift kit
My greatest challences are snow and soft ground, not so much rocks or sand.
So, what do you way more experienced offroaders think?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you measured the height yet? It should be 19”(48.2 cm) from center of wheel hub to underside of the fender flare. Less than that, you need new springs and shocks. If you want a steel front bumper and winch you’ll need to upgrade the front springs for the extra weight, anyways.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did lift and front locker early on. Already had the factory trac-lock rear. Very capable. Got skid plates off a parts Liberty - still have not installed. No winch.

Locker had to come out though, as the np242 swap (for AWD) didn't cooperate well. Will go to a True-Trac when i go into the diff next.

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight! As I thought, opinions vary a lot. As they should, there is a difference between you who are driving in Arizona desert or me trying to get through 3 feet of snow in eastern Finland. Hmm, maybe the most important off road gear is a good shovel! :)