Threads Stripped on Rear Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, the parking brake shoes failed a while ago, and I've had trouble since. When they failed, the rivets that held the backing plate all broke (corrosion didn't help). Today, I took off the brake rotor and pads so I could get to the parking brake shoes. I wanted to remove them until I can fix the backing plate because they are grinding up against the rotor. When I tried to put the (normal) brake pads back on, I noticed that one of the two bolts that are needed to hold the mount thing for them in place won't tighten down. After closer inspection, I realized that half of the threads in the nut are almost gone, and the other half is in bad condition. Basically, the threads that were drilled into the axle itself are ineffective. I think I might be able to use a longer bolt and work around it, but it is alarming that this happened under seemingly normal use (I've only taken the bolt out and back in about 6 times).

There isn't any unusually excessive rust or anything. I am the second owner, so I don't know how it was treated before.

How can I fix this, and how can I prevent this in the future?
Also, why was this even able to happen in the first place?