Swapped V6 Fan for CRD Metal Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just ordered from moparonline - the part no. for the fan is now 52079654AD. I get to pay $110 (incl shipping). The Hayden clutch came in at $121.78. Over half of the cost is postage! On the other hand, I can't get the Hayden clutch in England, and (if bought through a dealer) the Fan would have to be ordered in anyway, and that would additionally attract a dealer markup - which in England is never small.

I didn't give my VIN number on the order form - I figured that as I have a CRD, and the fan is for the gasser, that giving my Vin would just add complications.

OldSkull

Reaction score
Outch! Yep the shipping cost kill the deal...There is lot of good source parts sellers on your side I think Tony CRD can help you find them and save you some "precious"kopkrab.gif

I fabricate my own clutch fan tool using what I got on hands, the aluminium bar and galvanized pipe are 40" long, The wrench is a cheap "India" 2" , only missing in the pic are the two SS bolt. (Pins) No harmer need! This made the job soooooo easy!

You must be registered for see images

OldSkull

Reaction score
Let's say 30 minutes max :yawn: The worse part is breaking free the viscous from his puley but with a "Home made" tool like the one I built save you lot of $%?@#@! :birgits_tiredcoffee

OldSkull

Reaction score
30 minutes! I just might be able to manage that if it stops raining for a while:) Thanks for the help.

Well I did it 3 times! You may need a lot more just to figure things out the first time... Lets say a hour maybe, check your belt since you are already getting there,for this job you need to slack the bender, check all puleys, replace what need to be and your good to go :) Not difficult ...except braking loose the fracking viscous....

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that:) I've now received the clutch - good service from a company called Rockauto, and the fan is still on its way from mopartools online, as is a fan clutch tool (amazon uk) - the 36mm spanner I already had - it was the right size for a nut on a bike I used to have!

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moparpartsonine is not working this morning.... None of the links work whenever I need to go someplace. Any other parts online place you guys recomend.?

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the fan is still on it's way. I ordered it at the same time as the clutch, but whereas Rockauto sent the clutch by FedEx, the fan was sent USPS express international mail. The postage charges were about he same. Moral - choose Fedex/UPS over USPS wherever possible!

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan is still on it's way. I've just paid £25 duty to customs. Hopefully, I should have it tomorrow!

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything difficult about the swap? Any special tools required?

The Universal Fan Clutch Tool set from NAPA that has a big pin wrench to hold the pulley and a 36mm open end wrench with a long handle that costs ~$80 works great.
Off in seconds, even if the big adjustable wrench and big hammer did not work.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Help me out here. The automotive companies employee thousands of undergrad/graduate engineers to design applications for their companies. How is it Joe-Bobs like us can decide the V6 fan works better (for whatever reason) on the CRD application than all those over paid engineers?????

Just curious....

Tom

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Help me out here. The automotive companies employee thousands of undergrad/graduate engineers to design applications for their companies. How is it Joe-Bobs like us can decide the V6 fan works better (for whatever reason) on the CRD application than all those over paid engineers?????

Just curious....

Tom

They are human and have bigger than life EGOs. Another characteristic of some Engineers is that they fight to defend their decisions even when they are wrong, even if it takes more effort.
So Joe, enjoy having your lower EGTs, more power to the rear wheels due to a more efficient intercooler operation. Better fuel economy because you don't blow unburned fuel out the tail pipe due to having more dense air in the cylinders for combustion. Better AC operation, and a lower risk of over heating. Try not to get any muscle cramps in your cheeks from grinning too much.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Im in. Now I just have to back track to the part number information and figure out where to order from.

Joe, do us all a big favor, make sure your kids get enough Sand Box Time so that if they grow up to be Engineers, they will know what they are doing. :happy175:
Cartoons and Video Games don't cut it if that is all they get.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, do us all a big favor, make sure your kids get enough Sand Box Time so that if they grow up to be Engineers, they will know what they are doing. :happy175:
Cartoons and Video Games don't cut it if that is all they get.

Gosh, thanks. I know that information is in this thread. I just hadnt written it down yet.

You'll be happy to hear, I dont have any kids. Feel better now?

Unclebob9

Reaction score
electric fan conversion

Well, that certainly sounds like an interesting WINTERTIME experiment. Here in South Texas during the summer, that would be a sure-fire way to end up with no A/C and overheat your engine and ****** inside of about 10 minutes on the interstate.

If the intent is to gather data toward the ultimate aim of replacing the mechanical fan with an electric version, that reduces drag on the engine when not needed, but can still do an adequate job of cooling in high heat situations, then more power to them.

I'd caution that that mechanical fan cools a multitude of items - the engine coolant, which also cools the engine oil and EGR cooler (if still active), the intercooler, and also the air-cooled combination ****** oil cooler and A/C condenser.

Many people, not just in the Jeep community but in the diesel pickup truck community as well, have looked at replacing the mechanical fan with an electric setup over the past few years. From what I've seen, with the aftermarket choices available, they've been hard pressed to find an option that would fit in the space available under the hood, not overtax their electrical system, AND come anywhere close to moving the same amount of air and providing the same level of cooling when it was really needed.

IMO, the best option would be what they use on Class 8 OTR rigs - I worked at a Freightliner assembly plant for 12 years - to control the mechanical fan. They use an air-operated on/off fan clutch. When the coolant temp is below a certain setpoint, the clutch and fan are completely disengaged. When the coolant temp exceeds the setpoint, the clutch engages, and the fan springs to life with essentially a direct mechanical coupling to it's drive pulley.

And FWIW, the 11 bladed nylon V6 mechanical fan is just a smaller version of the same fans they put on the Class 8 rigs.

I have a friend with a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited, with the 3.8 L V6 gasser engine. Minus an intercooler, they have the same setup regards the radiator and air-cooled combination ****** oil cooler and A/C condenser as we do. But, the only fan they have installed is an approx 16" electric fan mounted behind the radiator - no aux electric fan in front at all. He says a common complaint on the forums is people regularly getting the ****** overtemp light - apparently from the lack of airflow thru and capacity of the factory ****** oil cooler/A/C condenser. And that a popular remedy has been to install an aux ****** oil cooler. I've noticed on a few occasions riding with him he keeps the A/C set to the bare minimum necessary to keep it comfortable inside the vehicle to minmize the heat load being pumped to that combination cooler, hopefully to help maximize ****** oil cooling.

For the time being, I'd rather take the 1 to 1.5 mpg hit on fuel economy, and live with a grille blanket or grille blockers on the occasions I do encounter cold weather, to be sure I've got adequate cooling both for the vehicle and myself when it's one of those 102 F August days here in San Antonio.

I recently converted my dodge cummins to an electric fan, after much research I went to Pick N Pull and got one from a Mercury or ford Contour, a duel set up Results, when pulling hills it is running about 10 degrees hotter than with the stock fan. transmission temp, no change. MPG went from 18.5 to 20.2/
I am now considering doing the same thing to my CRD.