Steering Wheel Lock (yes it does)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With your wheel straight and you pull the key on KJ's the steering wheel has never locked for me. So I asked Ryan, you ever get your wheel to lock?
I thought I would post this info as discovered by Ryan & Jen While they were camping!
Your wheel will lock on auto KJ's, you just have turn "Jeep" Up side down.
& remove key...(ya this is definitely a Jeep thing)
Go figure. o_O
40248[/ATTACH]']
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• SteeringWheelLock.jpg
    SteeringWheelLock.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What.....lock the wheel AND put a club on it....you live in the hood or what TC.....haha

That is interesting though. I didn't know the wheel locked...I will try that to see if it works on mine.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
HA HA Dave....We all live in the hood!...why the club? (hint -move on to next vehicle)
How many auto thefts occur in British Columbia?
Over 7,500 this month alone - a car is broken into every five minutes in British Columbia. In fact, thefts from automobiles in the city of Vancouver have gone up 120% since 1987.

The Club I like is one attaches to brake pedal. http://www.amazon.com/Club-Brake-Vehicle-Anti-Theft-Device/dp/B000L9T7AY
It is rather hard to see though so i put one across wheel, and one on brake pedal for sedan, as it was stolen years ago, now has alarm and 2 clubs!
Now I lock the Jeep's wheel upside down, and a club for A-H's visibly.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably all that wax!
Just kidding HJ, ya both Ryan&Mine are 04's so this may apply to earlier editions, not sure just what is up. (or upside down)
Will know more after this post, and bring awareness to those that have also not been able to lock their steering wheels.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably all that wax!
Just kidding HJ, ya both Ryan&Mine are 04's so this may apply to earlier editions, not sure just what is up. (or upside down)
Will know more after this post, and bring awareness to those that have also not been able to lock their steering wheels.
Mine locks in any position also,it's a '02.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked and mine locks too....only if it is upside down. I don't recall anything in the owners manual about it??

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya there is comment in some owner's manual's that only manual ****** came with lock.
Possibly they did not want to tell you that the steering wheel position sensor/clockspring or something needs a recall...
Now Dave knows he can lock wheel! Cool.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just tried this, and I have a 07 sport, and it also locks with the "jeep" upside down as well, Pretty odd actually.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya it is odd that some lock normally, and other's upside down.
What's "UP" with that?
Lets get some more posts back on years and which lock normally or upside down.
Then confront dealer on their "Known issues" list and see what comes back.
I believe they all should lock with wheels straight, just something got installed wrong.
I am not sure I would let them fix it by taking the whole wheel apart though, could make it worse.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is so if your Jeep gets stolen, you will catch the thief going round and round in circles which will give you time to get your baseball bat to "show him the error of his ways"? :smokin:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That could be Steve, but can we stay on topic here? You have an 02 how does yours lock?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I accidentally lock it whenever I am cleaning or doing something in the jeep. It is pretty easy to lock it, it just depends on the surface you parked your jeep on and what kind of tires you have etc because it makes it easier to turn the wheel.

Hey TC, do you also pull the hand brake and put the selec trac to neutral? :D While you are at it, why not disconnect the battery as well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ha ha...there Hyde...
If you really want to piss off a thief..just take the storage fuse with ya!
It has taken 3 years to find out how to lock this wheel. Many just figure it does not lock.
Ya learn something new everyday, just on many Kj's it is up side down (eh)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wait until you realize that sun visors slide out!
Or that the owners manual is actually in the jeep with a little slot of its own in glovebox...
Or TPMS actually detects when you swap tires..

a few things new jeep owners did not realize until few months, in some cases few years into their ownership that we came across. :)

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up until now I thought the locking mechanism on my '05 was broken. I just tried turning the wheel so the jeep logo is upside down and for the first time ever, the steering wheel locked. Great tip. Thanks.

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I just tried that too. I didn't know it can lock upside down. My Jeep is a 2005 sport btw.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, mine only locks upside down too. Hm. But even when not upside down, it's still pretty firm.