spun rod bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
i believe i spun a rod bearing in my 02 liberty 3.7 liter. manual says to pull engine to remove oil pan. f' that, does anyone have an idea of what all that job encompasses (i.e. new crank? rod? ) and how any idea how much it should cost to have a repair shop do the job?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to say until the engines pulled out and checked good. Could be just new bearings and clean up the crank, could be a whole bottom end rebuild. At that point I'd be looking at rebuilding the entire engine or replacing it since then you'd have a complete new engine to go another 200,000 plus

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you'd be ahead of the game if you just swap out the engine. There is so much work to get to the crank and rod bearings (pull the engine, tear it down to the short block, pull the crank, etc) that you're doing about 80% of the work to fix a rod bearing as you would to just replace the engine. Here's how I know. There's a video in that thread showing a bad rod bearing.

You can use a 3.7 liter up to 2010 or so if you're willing to swap out some internal parts to fit your '02's computer system. Newer engines from other Chrysler products cost a lot less than the same block from a Jeep - so you can have a nearly new engine for the same money it would run to have a shop machine the crank and any rod bearings that need repaired.

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you'd be ahead of the game if you just swap out the engine. There is so much work to get to the crank and rod bearings (pull the engine, tear it down to the short block, pull the crank, etc) that you're doing about 80% of the work to fix a rod bearing as you would to just replace the engine. Here's how I know. There's a video in that thread showing a bad rod bearing.

You can use a 3.7 liter up to 2010 or so if you're willing to swap out some internal parts to fit your '02's computer system. Newer engines from other Chrysler products cost a lot less than the same block from a Jeep - so you can have a nearly new engine for the same money it would run to have a shop machine the crank and any rod bearings that need repaired.

Bob

Bad logic....you need to use a motor from 02-03 otherwise you may as well rebuild yours, since it's literally the same amount of work to get the tone rings swapped out on the crank, require the same amount of parts and money other than a bearing set.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad logic....you need to use a motor from 02-03 otherwise you may as well rebuild yours, since it's literally the same amount of work to get the tone rings swapped out on the crank, require the same amount of parts and money other than a bearing set.

Nope.

Leave the original engine alone except for the intake & exhaust manifolds and accessories, buy the tone rings and EGR blocking plate and install on the donor engine and put the new engine in for half or less what you'd pay for a rebuild.

You don't have to tear down two engines following the process I used - just the donor. Max 2 days with no KJ vs weeks with a rebuild.

Trust me, I thought through the process more than I like to remember and my logic is sound. And so is the like-new engine in my KJ - purring like a kitten :icon_cool:

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope.

Leave the original engine alone except for the intake & exhaust manifolds and accessories, buy the tone rings and EGR blocking plate and install on the donor engine and put the new engine in for half or less what you'd pay for a rebuild.

You don't have to tear down two engines following the process I used - just the donor. Max 2 days with no KJ vs weeks with a rebuild.

Trust me, I thought through the process more than I like to remember and my logic is sound. And so is the like-new engine in my KJ - purring like a kitten :icon_cool:

Bob

You did not read what I said at all.

Installing a tone ring on a 3.7l requires that you remove the oil pan, windage tray, oil pump pickup tube, oil pump, timing cover, timing chains, rod caps, bedplate, and crankshaft...meaning you'll need a complete lower seal set anyways.

If you're going through the work to do that, being that his moter has a lower end knock, he may as well just replace the bad parts in his motor and call it good. That will save him somewhere around the extra $1500 you want him to spend on a new (wrong) motor, EGR blockoff plate, and tone ring set.

There is literally as much work involved in doing what you suggest as there is in simply rebuilding his motor. And IDK about you, but when I'm taking a crank out of a motor, I'm taking the whole thing apart completely so I can actually get it cleaned out and know what I'm looking at. It's a set of head bolts away from having it completely resealed at that point.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did not read what I said at all.

Installing a tone ring on a 3.7l requires that you remove the oil pan, windage tray, oil pump pickup tube, oil pump, timing cover, timing chains, rod caps, bedplate, and crankshaft...meaning you'll need a complete lower seal set anyways.

If you're going through the work to do that, being that his moter has a lower end knock, he may as well just replace the bad parts in his motor and call it good. That will save him somewhere around the extra $1500 you want him to spend on a new (wrong) motor, EGR blockoff plate, and tone ring set.

There is literally as much work involved in doing what you suggest as there is in simply rebuilding his motor. And IDK about you, but when I'm taking a crank out of a motor, I'm taking the whole thing apart completely so I can actually get it cleaned out and know what I'm looking at. It's a set of head bolts away from having it completely resealed at that point.

You did not read the link I posted in my original reply.

I DID TEAR OUT MY BAD ENGINE, SWAPPED IN A NEW BLOCK FROM AN '07 DAKOTA AFTER REPLACING THE TONE RINGS AND EGR PLATE.

I removed the bed plate, took out the crank, put on the new reluctor ring, put everything back together (no seals needed when putting the bedplate back on by the way) including new TTY bolts for the rod caps, put the '03 intake/exhaust manifolds on the new '07 engine, put the whole shebang back in the Jeep and have put 15,000 miles on it since February.

Grand total? $1487 including the '07 engine, all gaskets, HOAT coolant, oil, tone rings and blocking plate. I even had a machine shop remove the Torx head screws holding the reluctor ring on the crank and STILL spent less than $1500 all told.

Damn thing runs like it stole something...

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did not read the link I posted in my original reply.

I DID TEAR OUT MY BAD ENGINE, SWAPPED IN A NEW BLOCK FROM AN '07 DAKOTA AFTER REPLACING THE TONE RINGS AND EGR PLATE.

I removed the bed plate, took out the crank, put on the new reluctor ring, put everything back together (no seals needed when putting the bedplate back on by the way) including new TTY bolts for the rod caps, put the '03 intake/exhaust manifolds on the new '07 engine, put the whole shebang back in the Jeep and have put 15,000 miles on it since February.

Grand total? $1487 including the '07 engine, all gaskets, HOAT coolant, oil, tone rings and blocking plate. I even had a machine shop remove the Torx head screws holding the reluctor ring on the crank and STILL spent less than $1500 all told.

Damn thing runs like it stole something...

Bob

My response to you Bob is regarding the OP's motor and situation.

I know what you did. it worked good. Not everyone has the extra dough to throw around for that. The cheapest, ,fastest, most efficient way to get the OP's done is to take apart his motor and redo it. The argument with you is that they require the exact same amount of work, but your way cost more money and an extra motor sitting around in the end.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score

Bob

so after he found what he did in this video, should/could he just replace the bearing and be fine? Also here is a link to a video, this is my jeep and what the noise is that its making -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BykvpQkfXiPkSkhwYWhXT21wNWc/edit?usp=sharing

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your link doesn't work. I'm not logging in for google docs. videos need to be posted to a video hosting site...photobucket, picturetrail, youtube.

Members online

No members online now.