Solar panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nebothfr

Reaction score
I am returning my second portable solar panel set. I use it with a VTOMAN power station. The first one was a 120W set up. I live in Las Vegas and NOT one time did it ever register over 81 Watts. The second one I am returning tomorrow. The power station is rated for 200 W so I purchased the 2nd portable panels rated at 200 W. The most I have ever recorded was 133. So if these portable panels suck so much why cant I buy one that is rated higher than the power station is and just expect it to never reach 200 W? Smart? Stupid?

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Renogy Eclipse Solar suitcase. It is rated at 100 watts and I have seen even more than that in full sun.(105W or so, in Pennsylvania). I was so impressed I bought a second one, and it is just as good.

They don’t make these Eclipse panels any more but occasionally Renogy sells NOS units on EBay. They can be pricey, like over $200, but I am seeing one for $170 right now.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Goal Zero stuff, I have a Nomad folding 100 watt panel I’ve been pleased with.

sebastianwhite

Reaction score
That sounds frustrating. It's disappointing when the solar panels don't perform as expected. It might be worth considering panels with higher ratings to see if they meet your power needs more effectively. However, it's essential to ensure compatibility with your power station. You could also reach out to experts or check out forums for recommendations. As for whether it's smart or stupid, it's all about finding the right solution for your situation.
If you're looking for quality solar panels, you might want to check out solar panels ireland. They offer leading-edge solar technology that could provide better results.

Last edited:

kjkotlar

If it ain't broke, take it apart to find out why.
Reaction score
Solar panels are rated at the maximum possible output under ideal laboratory conditions. With the sun at exactly 90 degrees to the panel, not a hint of a cloud or any shading, the perfect temperature (both too cold and too hot will lower the output) etc. Being retired, my wife and I spend a fair amount of time in a camper and I've got 4 100 watt Renogy panels on the roof. Some folks have commented that I over built my solar system but after extensive research on the subject I realized that the manufacturers rating will likely never be achieved. I would use the rated output as a comparison only and plan to over build for your intended needs, unless you live in the tropics where there are times of the year that you can actually experience a 90 degree angle to the sun you will likely never see that rated output. In Vegas and the surrounding desert area you do have a fairly high sun angle, especially in the summer months but still not 'ideal lab conditions'. Here in southwestern Colorado we don't have quite as good of a sun angle as you do but still much better than those in the northern latitudes and I'm very pleased with the solar setup on our camper.