Scraped rear bumper.. can I resurface it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was backing out of a friends driveway and scraped the passenger corner of my back bumper against the top of a retaining wall (It was just high enough off the ground to not see it and get the bottom of the corner. Needless to say it kinda ruined my good mood. It isn't to deep and instead of buying a second hand bumper I was wondering what I could do to fix it. Maybe grey plastic putty if they even make such a thing or sand it down with some kind of sand paper? Has anyone else had something similar happen? I hate to have to replace it because of the plastic having 7 years ('03) of sunlight and the new one not matching.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How far up on the bumper is it?
If on the bottom just cut it off for a Mudd style rear bumper:happy175:
I'll have an extra Sport bumper here soon but then its already cut so.....

Pictures would help to see what it really looks like

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tell people you got it on the trail crossing over a deep gully and your rear bumper just barely caught the ground on the way out. They'll be like, "Oh, sweet!"

Problem solved.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did something similar to my front bumper, turning into a narrow garage, and caught the wall with my front bumper, from my pics, everyone told me i was SOL ($hit out of luck)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey primer. Spray it on a clean rag and lightly wipe it over the white. might be a close match to the bumper color and blend in a little better than the white.. Then if anybody notices it just tell them what 67customs said.....we won't tell anybody....:smokin:

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did something similar to my front bumper, turning into a narrow garage, and caught the wall with my front bumper, from my pics, everyone told me i was SOL ($hit out of luck)

For your bumper use your body color touch up.......then anyone who notices......tell them what 67customs said.......:smokin:

Dave

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your bumper use your body color touch up.......then anyone who notices......tell them what 67customs said.......:smokin:

Dave

me tends to think that if i used my body color (KHAKI) on a grey bumper, then it would look a hell of a lot worse than what it does but thanks =)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
me tends to think that if i used my body color (KHAKI) on a grey bumper, then it would look a hell of a lot worse than what it does but thanks =)

Sorry.....thought yours looked like they were your body color in your avatar.

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the heck does it matter?
my front bumper and fender have been bent for 2+ years ,slid off the trail into a tree
that is so very minor that it is not even worth the trouble
and besides chicks dig body damage ,unless you happen to be married to them

easy fix however
sand smooth and heat it up to get the color back
I would heat it from behind

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry.....thought yours looked like they were your body color in your avatar.

Dave

no problem, i figured that was what you thought and figured i'd bust your balls, i wish i had the body color trim, i hate cleaning and dressing all that damn plastic every time i detail her

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with J-T. Use a heat gun to heat it up to get the white color out. Trim off the loose stuff with a razor blade first maybe. I've been told that what you are seeing is the talc in the plastic. the heat will make it go away.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I used the heat gun I mine... I had deep scratches on both sides, heated them up and smoothed them out. You can then sand a little, get a plastic primer and complete a few coats to even up texture.. Then just paint the entire bumper...

n3tninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of wishing for color matched trim, nows the perfect time to go ahead a spray the trim to match. Be sure to fill the spot, sand/ scuff all the trim down and wipe it down real good with prepsolve to get rid of any old armorall or anything on the trim. Start off with flex primer to help keep the paint from cracking in the future.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problem, i figured that was what you thought and figured i'd bust your balls, i wish i had the body color trim, i hate cleaning and dressing all that damn plastic every time i detail her

use lucas slick mist interior detailer availabe at pep boys and advance usually to clean the plastic its quick and extremely easy with a nice finish